Ferrari 458.

Started by Simon Whitney · 89 · 8 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Well I thought that I would join the dark side...
    Build a wheelie thingy.
    No not really , the good lady Rose ordered that I build a model for our son, who is car mad..
    After a look through the stash, decided that this would be suitable, with not much detail as such, they provide an engine but how much will be seen once in place?
    The cabin detail is adequate but again how much will be seen?
    The tyres look nicely moulded with little or none seam lines.

The colour just has to be Yellow, I see so many red Ferrari`s when their traditional colour was actually Yellow.

Anyhow, this will be built along side the other projects, so updates may be a bit sporadic.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Good to see someone else coming over to the dark side, especially with Halloween coming up at the end of the week! Now, a word about Ferrari colours. Ferraris should always be red, except when they are yellow that is (yellow being their team colour), they also look good in silver, and blue with a yellow nose cone is cool as well...

Anyway, good luck with this, along with your other projects. Maybe completing this Ferrari will encourage you to have a look at that Porsche 935 in Martini livery I know you have?

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Dark side? Where I'm from armor is considered the Dark Side Simon. Hope you enjoy building this because like George said you might find yourself wanting more.
    BTW, Revell car Ferrari kits can have some close tolerances so test fit as much as possible before painting.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Have fun with it Simon, do another tasty great looking car, here on this side, i am looking forward to it and will watch this with interest.

The dark side ? My neighbors believe i am the dark side, so come over, we have cookies 🙂

• Profile Photo

Cheers all, the dark side beckons!
    The Porsche can wait George, I want to get my gloss work up to standard worthy but it is a nice kit (even got the P/E with it as well as decals.).
    Thanks for the heads up on the fitting Al, It`s going to be fun, something other than a wingy thingy.
    Cookies Bernd, oh good, get the kettle on.
    Cannot build a kit without coffee and cookies can we!

• Profile Photo

Well folks, it has been nearly a week since I posted this build, and not a lot has gone on.
    This has been mainly due to the fact of finishing the Glad (beast) off for the GB.
    What I have done up to now is.
    First, stripped the shiny bits.

This was done by soaking in house hold bleach for a few hours.

While this was being done, I took about cutting the runners down to size, making them easier to handle.
    As I said in the intro , there is not a great deal to be seen once built but even so, I am given it my best shot. I am taking this time to use a new paint for me anyhow, Alcad 2 and its many colours, so the colour called out in the destructions may change...
    Looking at the discs, they needed something.

Using a 0.7 drill, I spent over an hour drilling all those holes, a lot of them but worth it.

The engine has been put together so far, and various location holes masked ready for priming and painting. So have a few other parts.

Will update later.
    TTFN

2 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 5 months ago:

WOW ! What a great start Simon, looking very good, the trick with the household bleach and the silvered parts was unknown to me.
    Time for more cookies 🙂

Bernd

• Profile Photo

Good move on drilling the rotors Simon. It's paying attention to the little details that will make or break a car kit.

• Profile Photo

Keep on eating the cookies Bernd, it was the first time I had used bleach to strip chrome, and it worked quite well, as for the discs Al, when she is buttoned up so to speak, any internal work could be wasted. I am also trying to keep myself focused on this build, double checking before proceeding with the next stage.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 5 months ago:

I hadn't heard of using bleach, either, although i have heard of people using oven cleaner...
    As for the brake discs, it's a good modification to make, Simon, I usually try to do it on the motorcycle kits, where appropriate, but, of course, they are much more visible and you can see both sides. No matter, you are obviously enjoying this build, and it makes a change after your Gladiator.

• Profile Photo
    Bryan W. Bernart said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Good looking start, Simon. The 458 track car is a beast-the "gentleman" drivers in the Ferrari Challenge tear them to bits in the name of fun. I have a side mirror off the class winning 458 from last years' Rolex 24 at Daytona-found stuck in a tire wall at turn 7-the Bus Stop chicane- that was lost while punting the second place car off to retain first place. Sportsmen...

• Profile Photo

Simon your going to find when building car models areas & features that you think will be hidden tend to reveal themselves when everything is done & it's too late to go back.
    I guess I'm old school, I still use oven cleaner to strip chrome. Messy but fast.

• Profile Photo
    Joe Caputo said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Bleche-Wite was recommended, to remove chrome, by several of the car modelers in our club. It worked fine for me on a Revell Chopper. It has to be a form of what you used, Simon. But Simon, a car? Really ? I knew that bi-plane would drive you over the edge...lol

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the heads up Al, I have found a couple of bits that will need to be taken in to account. Two air scoops on the rear body work have no backing as far as I can see, so one problem to solve. The other is the side vents, they are molded separately and have a decal to add before fixing to the body. They recommend this as it is nigh on impossible to do afterwards.

Other than that, a dry fit of the cabin internals to see where not to paint, and also to clean up any join areas ready for priming.

And no Joe, I am not losing the plot, well not yet anyhow.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Well hello again, it is I, the silly one who decides to build a car this time.

Not a lot has happened, I have been mainly cutting and cleaning bits.

Applied the primer today to what I am calling the lower half.

Then started the silly stuff, spraying Alcad 2 .

Out came the Gloss Black base, then the Air-frame Aluminium, which coated the engine block and timing end.

]pic1]

Then sprayed the cylinder head covers Polished aluminium, but can you see the difference.

No , nor can I really , so will give another coat to the heads tomorrow.

]pic2]

The rest of it is so so, the chassis has been given a coat of semi gloss black mixed with just a little bit of silver, to try and replicate the carbon fibre used.

The exhausts are a waiting some Alcad chrome at some stage, may find some other bits to spray as well.

That is all for now, hope to post an update at the weekend.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.