• 30 posts
  • Last reply 9 months, 1 week ago
Viewing 16 - 30 of 30 posts
  • Johannes Gerl said 10 months ago:

    Phantastic work, Richard.
    Fingers crossed for all the carbon stuff that’s coming now ..-

  • Richard Mcstay said 10 months ago:

    Cheers boss! I’m looking forward to the carbon fibre decals, never had any problems with their decals yet… but yeah, one should never count their chickens!

  • Richard Mcstay said 10 months ago:

    My least favourite part of building a bike…..

    Think I’ll just get an aftermarket set next time! That took 2 hours and I have a good blister to show for it from the hand drill.
    Now that is out the way, a plan seems to have come together. I’ve managed to complete eight build steps at once, and here is the evidence!

    I dry brushed the silver onto the wheels, seemed to be the most logical way of doing it. I did see it done with a silver pen in a magazine, but I don’t have one…
    The decals were great for the green wheel rims, no problem at all with them. I tried my best to replicate the hot metal effect on the manifold using alclad paints. It’s not quite the real thing, but I’m happy enough with them. They should look a bit better in natural lighting when I take the photos of the final build.

    The back wheel, chain and brake disc is all held onto the swing arm with a single screw. No glue required! I gave the tyres a bit of a going over with a sanding stick. There is a seam that needs removed from the middle of each tyre, but then you get a nice realistic worn look to them.

    The back swing arm screws neatly into place onto the frame and engine block creating working suspension! I’m really impressed with this kit might I add… The way the new Tamiya bike kits screw together without the need for any glue is fantastic. The Panigale built up the same, and I still have the new Honda GP bike in the stash, I’m assuming that will be equally as impressive.
    Well that is all the progress for now, best crack on with the front forks.

  • Richard Mcstay said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

    So the front forks were nearly done, but then there was this incident where I dropped one while the paint was still wet… Fixable, but not tonight!
    I’ve got a few sub assemblies done though so I’ll post some pics of them for now. The front wheel is ready to go now, as is the carbon dash and speedometer. The carbon decals are going on fine as well, which is always a relief.

    Just need the front forks now and I’ll be able to bring a few sub assemblies together. I’ve started applying the many carbon fibre decals to the head stock. There are many grooves and contours to get into with the bikes very angular appearance. This is still very much in it’s infancy though, there is still a lot of cleaning up needed from the micro sol.

  • Richard Mcstay said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

    Forks are done and it’s up on its wheels!

  • George Williams said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

    Good to see you getting on with this, Richard, rather you than me with those carbon decals. It’s always a satisfactory stage when you can get the bike onto two wheels.

  • Richard Mcstay said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

    I love putting the decals on, it’s probably my favourite bit! Well it is when it goes well anyway!

  • Richard Mcstay said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

    Got a bit more done on this now. Once the handlebars were finished, all the cables could then be attached. Then the carbon air box intake and dash could also be fixed in place.

  • Marc Barris said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

    This is some amazing work Richard, very well done indeed, love it.

  • Johannes Gerl said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

    This is a gem, Richard. You’re into something great.
    Fingers crossed for the final steps …

  • Richard Mcstay said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

    Thanks very much guys! Yeah, it could all still go horribly wrong!

  • Richard Mcstay said 9 months, 1 week ago:

    So then… The carbon fibre head stock is finished eventually! But you cannot rush these things. Not when there are multiple decals involved. The metal transfer badge on the nose is a nice effect, and even the inside of the head stock gets the treatment.

    So here it is the point where everything could potentially go ‘boobs’ up 🙂

    I have to buffer that with that! Hold my beer……

  • Richard Mcstay said 9 months, 1 week ago:

    Well a plan seems to have finally come together! I put the silver powder buffering off for a bit out of worry….. but it wasn’t as scary as I thought it was going to be!

    I’ve took some photos of the fairings from different angles for you to get an idea of the two tone effect. I sealed the finish in with a clear coat included in the set, applied the decals and metal badges, then gave the fairings a final buffering once attached to the bike to avoid fingerprints.
    The final assembly was one last reminder of how good a kit this is! It can be a bit nerve racking putting the fairings on a bike model sometimes. This is where every step of the build has had to have been done right, or else the fairings won’t line up properly with the frame. A single screw was needed each side to attach the sides to the head stock, then the whole thing slipped on like a glove, with only a single screw needed each side to attach it to the frame.
    Here’s a sneak preview of the finished bike before I get it into my photo studio. Well, cardboard box with a bit of paper and a B&Q bathroom tile. But studio sounds good!
    Thanks to everyone who followed the build, and cheers for all the compliments and support along the way.

  • Michel Verschuere said 9 months, 1 week ago:

    Great stuff Richard, it’s a beauty! Drive that one to the Shetlands…

  • Richard Mcstay said 9 months, 1 week ago:

    It’s not really road legal. Not that the police could catch you though!

Viewing 16 - 30 of 30 posts