Honda RA272 F1 from 1965

Started by George Williams · 22 · 2 years ago · 1/20, Honda RA272, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Following my successful plea for help (thanks again to everyone who responded), here are some pictures of the basic tub of this classic F1 car. It's another Tamiya 1/20 kit, one of their earlier offerings, I think, but with new box art,

and my kit came with transparent rear cowling parts. The build seems to be progressing quite quickly, so, there should be some pictures very soon. Thanks for looking, George

4 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Good start George. Mine arrived yesterday but it will be a while before I even think about building it. Where did you post for help go to anyway?

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Another master piece coming out of the garage George?
    Will follow this one mate.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Great start George, looking very good, can t wait to follow this ride 😉

• Profile Photo

Thanks for looking, folks. The only tricky bit so far is getting the right angle on the pedal assembly, this is important as it effects the fit of the main body part and the nose cone. Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem to be quite right, we'll see later.

Hi Al, I got a slap on the wrist for posting my plea for help in Headlines from the site administrator, and was told that he had moved it to the "private" section, not sure where that is, but I can't find it, bit of a shame because it means that if anyone else needs that info they won't find it...maybe I'm being over sensitive, but it seems that if you want to advertise your book, or give some info about WWII aircraft camoflage schemes, then that's OK. It doesn't spoil my enjoyment or enthusiasm about this site, but I find it a bit irritating. Anyway, you must be pleased with the response you're getting with this group. Are you reading this, Martin?

• Profile Photo

I seem to have jumped ahead a bit without posting any more pictures, but here's the main tub completed with the engine and rear suspension attached. The only real modification/improvement I've made is to drill out the ends of the exhaust pipes, the solid ends really caught my eye in the box art for some reason, I think the end pipes are just about visible in these pictures..

The "bodywork" is sprayed with Tamiya's TS7 which is a kind of ivory white. I've posed the model on top of the ubiquitous Tamiya paint jar especially for Craig's benefit, so that he can appreciate the diminutive size of this car, it's 1'20 scale. Thanks again for looking, George.

2 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

This little project is coming along nicely.

Your right, I am happy with the response the Group is getting. I'm beginning to think around here automotive builders are like ship builders, you know there out there but you never see them.

On that other matter I was afraid it was something like that. I looked all over for it again but couldn't find it. At least it was up long enough for you to get some feedback. I would think given your current environment you would be used to happenings like that.

• Profile Photo

Ha ha, you're right about things disappearing on the internet, Al, we fondly call it "The Great Chinese Firewall"!. The BBC website has been unavailable for a couple of weeks, which means I don't have my usual news source, and, more importantly, am unable to listen to my favourite music shows, luckily it is available again now. U-tube, Facebook and Twitter are permanently switched off, along with many others.

Back to the main subject, I'm not goiing to post it in Headlines yet. I want to make a connection with my next project - a McLaren-Honda F1 car, and post them together. What do you think?

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Great work George, looks like a lot of fun, well done so far

• Profile Photo

I'm not too fond of posting more than one to a subject George. You wouldn't get any consideration for the monthly award. Did I really say that? Automotive, not!
    Might do them one right after the other & devote a shot of the pair together in each post.

• Profile Photo

Good idea, Al, I might just do that, Anyone else got any views on this?

• Profile Photo
    Bryan W. Bernart said 9 years, 5 months ago:

A real gem in the making! Nice that the older cars didn't employ rear bodywork thus hiding the engine.

• Profile Photo

Here are a couple more pictures, just awaiting the rear cowling. I painted the wheel rims aluminium rather than silver as called out for in the instructions. It seemed more natural to me. Thanks for looking, George.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Sweet George.
    Any chance that you will be entering the F1 races next year?
    Team Chinese George! Sponsored by iModeler?
    Great work there mate.

• Profile Photo

Good clean lines on a car from the days before they created downforce on every plane. Got mine the other day. The decals are junk. Good thing they are simple.