I FINALLY get to build THAT truck!

Started by Josh Patterson · 2 · 6 years ago · Aerodyne, K100
  • Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Well, since I recently got my T.V. aviation dream model out of the way in the form of T.C.'s chopper from Magnum P.I. I finally have a kit in my hand that will let me build another one of my childhood favorites.

Round 2 has re-released AMT's Tyrone Malone's modified KW K100 Areodyne in the form of Papa Truck. Seeing the prices that standard K100s have been going for second hand (which has prevented me from starting this project) shortening the frame and building a fifth wheel are preferable to forking over excess cash. A search for decal stripes and markings turned up a set on modeltrucking.com and it just so happens that Moebius has the correct trailer in kit form. (Which took a little search to find one for sale less than $99 example I found on Ebay.)

For such an old kit, it really is pretty good with some minor mold seam cleanup on the cab. The rivet detail is very nice as well. Can't wait for the trailer to get here so I can load up the airbrush!

We'll see who can guess the show, but the rig is right up there with the Batmobile and the General Lee for eye grabby-ness. I used to have the actual 1/32 kit as a kid, but I think 1/25th scale is going to be far more impressive. (Especially with the trailer attached!) Problem is, now I'll want to do Snowman's and Sonny Pruit's trucks too!

Got started working on the Aerodyne tonight. The problem with the using the Papa Truck kit is it has an extended frame and needs to be adjusted to the proper length.

This was simple to remedy. I just eyeballed where I needed the splash guard to end up behind the fuel tanks and removed an appropriate section while still leaving the cross member in front of the rear axles. After sanding everything square is was simply a matter of joining the halves. I also realized tonight that I will have to fab the rear mudflaps and hangars along with the fifth wheel that I had already known about. I suppose about the time I get done Round 2 will release the licensed article!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Good looking progress so far. As far as naming the TV show, I would say BJ and the Bear. One of my favorites.

But you mentioned some others too. When I was a lot younger I had the trailer that the Snowman pulled. As a kid I had Sonny Pruitt's rig too.

Good stuff. I'll be watching this one for updates.