LaFerrari

Started by Richard Mcstay · 44 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 5 years, 10 months ago:

A good few months ago I put it to a vote between the Ferrari and the Flanker for my next build. The Sukhoi won the vote, but only just... So as promised for my next build, a hyper car that the boys in Italy were so proud of they just simply named it, The Ferrari !

I'll save all the technical specs for the final article and just concentrate on the kit and the build here in the WIP. But I can tell you now that it is a feat of automotive engineering that I am really excited by. In a nut shell, the boffins at Ferrari put all of their F1 technology into a road car, and came up with this.

I read the build review in Tamiya magazine when the kit was first released and bought it straight away. It was described as Tamiya's best car kit to date. Their other car kits are pretty impressive, so I'm thinking I am in for a treat here! I splashed out on some aftermarket goodies as well to enhance it, so this is not going to be a quick build.

Tamiya released the carbon fibre decals as an aftermarket option and it would be a crime not to utilise them. I also purchased a Hobby Design detail up, resin and photo etch set to go with. On closer inspection I feel that there is a few PE pieces that are going a bit over board so I probably wont use them all. I think you can sometimes spoil the end result by battling to remove a kit piece then replace it with a 'hard to work with' piece of photo etch. Well I can anyway...

• Profile Photo

I've made a good start on this already and got a fair amount done on the engine block. I always really enjoy building the engines on these Tamiya kits. They are almost like a model within a model...

I used the resin exhaust tips from the aftermarket set. They are a massive improvement, I think the difference is plain to see.

As per usual, I primed the engine with a gloss black first then used various different Alclad colours for the metal effects, followed by a thinned wash of Tamiya X-19 smoke. I dulled the aluminium block with a matt varnish and applied a clear coat to the pipes. The top covers were airbrushed with Tamiya flat red and the details brush painted on.

And that is it for now because I'm off to bed! It's the North Tyneside model exhibition in the morning so I have to be up early. I'm taking along a few models to enter into the competition. It's the first time I've actually entered any at a show so I'm really looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Looks like it's gonna be a beauty...! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Great stuff! Have fun at the exhibition mate!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 5 years, 10 months ago:

I can see you're really going to town with this one, Richard, it's bound to look great. For me, the last roadgoing Ferrari I really liked was the Daytona, but there's no denying that La Ferrari is indeed awesome.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Nicely detailed engine Richard, looking good !

• Profile Photo

So the North of England and Scotland model show quite went well anyway! I got the gold in two classes! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Congrats Richard! Well deserved mate!

• Profile Photo

Cheers mate, first one I've ever entered!
    Thanks for the compliments on the engine as well gents.
    I know where you are coming from George. I think they call that nostalgia... I still prefer the Enzo to the LaFerrari, even though the latter is far more technologically advanced. Same with aviation.. I'm sure the F-35 is a far more advanced plane to the Harrier, but I still get more excited about Harriers and reminisce about seeing them in the skies when I was a kid.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 10 months ago:

What a man, Richard. TWO gongs at one of the most competitive shows around. Congratulations and well done for representing the iModeler tribe so brilliantly.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Well deserved Richard !

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Congratulations, Richard, you must be very pleased. At my age nostalgia is all I have!

• Profile Photo

Cheers gentlemen! I was over the moon with that one!

• Profile Photo

The air box was quite a time consuming task but turned out as well as could be expected. I'm more than happy with the finished carbon fibre effect. I'm looking forward to seeing the decals in the cabin of the car as well.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Richard, your carbon fibre turned out pretty amazing, how did you finish it to get that effect?