Tamiya 1/24 VW New Beetle

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 45 · 1 year ago · 1/24, beetle, New Beetle, Tamiya, volkswagen, VW
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Hi everyone!

Here is my first entry to this quiet-but-wonderful Automotive GB!

The Volkswagen New Beetle is a compact car, introduced by Volkswagen in 1997, drawing heavy inspiration from the exterior design of the original Beetle. Unlike the original Beetle, the New Beetle has its engine in the front, driving the front wheels, with luggage storage in the rear. Many special editions have been released, such as the Malibu Barbie New Beetle.

In 2011 for the 2012 model year, a new Beetle model, the Beetle (A5), replaced the New Beetle. It is often referred to as the New Beetle as well. Various versions of this model continued to be made in Puebla, Mexico, until the final car left the assembly line on 10 July 2019.

This is practically my first Automotive kit build. Having no relative experience, let me just say that the kit looks wonderful: typical "modern" Tamiya, everything looks perfect, molding cannot get crisper!...

Rims are chrome platted and tires are vinyl.
    Transparencies are crystal clear, a nice set of masks is provided...
    Instructions are great, as is the small decal sheet...
    I have no plans to start this beauty of a kit immediately, as I have TOO many ongoing projects, however I kind of thought it would be great just to add an entry to this neat GB. Whoknows, I might perform some small steps quite soon!

More to come!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Uuuhhh - shiny chrome and all 🙂

Looking forward to this. One question; does it have the dashboard flowerpot? That was the item I remember most from this modern icon. I shall buckle up when the build commences!

• Profile Photo

I think I can see it! It should be part D8 at the above assembly instructions, my friend @airbum!
    As always, thanks for following!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Certainly something a little different for you, @fiveten, but I'm sure you'll make an excellent job of it. Any idea what colour it's going to be?

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @chinesegeorge!
    I am leaning towards Humbrol 14 French Blue 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Came to an settlement with my 5yo son Nikos (he wanted to build together the Revell 1/48 Rafale) and build the Beetle...
    So, here is a start, with the steering and suspensions assembled...

More to come!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Now that is a step aside, Spiros @fiveten
    With the support of Nikos all will turn out great.
    Looking forward to this Beetle.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Great news, @fiveten, I’m sure Nikos will enjoy the build.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @chinesegeorge!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 3 months ago:

And now for something completely different! Great choice for a father-son build. I hope it goes together easier than Tamiya’s old ‘64 Beetle, Spiros @fiveten. Have fun you two!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @eb801!

• Profile Photo

Some more assembly...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

You both performed nicely on these assembled parts, Spiros @fiveten
    Is yellow also the color it will be in the end or the red one as shown on the boxart.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb! Loukas joined too, so, per the Genesis band album...

...and then there were three...

Cannot really say about the final color, as it was decided to give the completed Beetle to a very good friend who owns a silver Audi convertible, so...it might be silver, but Nikos wants either blue or green...oh, my!