1970s US Antenna Systems

Started by Mark Lull · 6 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Mark Lull said 2 years ago:

I just found and joined iModeler and immediately searched for information on Knox class frigates. I found only one article.

USS Miller (FF-1091) was my home for four and a half years in the late 70s. I have a 1:700 kit as well as a 1:350 kit that I intend to build as the Miller from that time period. (I also have model kits of other ships from that time period in 1:700 and 1:350 scale that I will be working on in the future.) The Knox class kits have the later modifications to the class as well as at least one inconsistency.

The most noticeable difference is the addition of "hurricane bows". ("The modification heightened the bow section, adding bulwarks and spray strakes to prevent burrowing into on-coming seas and to better protect the forecastle armament." Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knox-class_frigate) I will need to remove these on my models.

Also added was the CIWS (Close In Weapons System) on the fantail or the BPDMS (Basic Point Defense Missile System). Neither of these were installed on Miller until later so I will need to remove the mounting for them.

My biggest problem is that the AN-ULQ-6 Deception Repeater with its associated AN-SLA-12 Antenna System (along with the AN-WLR-1 ESM domes on the mast) were replaced with the AN-SLQ-32 Countermeasures system. This presents an inconsistency in the models. (There should not be three ESM domes on the mast once the AN-SLQ-32 system was installed. Also, the forward ESM dome should have a smaller, protruding dome on top that I will need to add to my models.)

More importantly to me is that the AN-SLA-12 antenna system is entirely different from that of the AN-SLQ-32 antenna system so it looks like I will have to create those parts myself. So far, I haven't been able to find any great pictures of the AN-SLA-12 antenna system (but I am still looking). If anyone can provide any assistance with this area of the ship, it would be greatly appreciated.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years ago:

Welcome to this great community, Mark @markalull
    Unfortunately I'm not into ships but I'm sure someone on this community can definitely help you.
    I would love to see the result once you have created the correct antenna.

• Profile Photo

Thanks John @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 2 years ago:

Good day Mark, @markalull and welcome.

In regard to your requests, you are going to have much more luck over at different forum (not to say we aren't willing to help!), and I have no shame in making the recommendation: Ship Model Forums, and specifically this thread may be the place to ask your question:
    http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=11346

Also, if you haven't yet visited Navsource, it's worth the time for ANY USN research project... you can spend hours looking at great photos here (start at the main page to explore):
    http://www.navsource.org/archives/06/06021091.htm

Lastly, take a look around at some of the suppliers online, specifically 3D printing suppliers such as ModelMonkey, as the technology has improved, so has the assortment of odds and ends available, up to and including the likes of masts and antennae systems. It's definitely worth a look.

http://www.modelwarships.com/index1.html

Cheers, and best of luck!

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 2 years ago:

Mark, I'm also curious, what kits are you intending to work with, for either scale?

• Profile Photo

Andrew @pb_legend,

Thanks for the detailed reply! It and the links are much appreciated.

Navsource has been my primary tool so far. The photos I have been able to locate that include the SLA-12 antenna system are all tiny portions of larger photos (as you would expect) but I have found enough (maybe) to get the job done at 1:350. I'm still looking for better photos.

As for the model kits, I have the 1:700 AFV Club Knox Class Frigate and the 1:350 Iron Shipwrights USS Ainsworth FF-1090 kit. The 1:700 kit is so small that I doubt that I will be able to do much detail on it.