Revell German Submarine Type II B (1943) 1/144

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 34 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks a lot for the inviation to this groupbuild, David @davids_models

This invitation made me think real hard about what I had to choose.

I'm absolutely not into boats/ships and if I remember all well, then planes is the only subject I have been modelling so far.

I just decided to head over to a local store, which does have quite some kits, and forced myself to choose from the ones they had in stock. After being in doubt about what to choose for an hour, I came up with this Uboat Type II B from Revell in 1/144 scale. It seems not to difficult, just 55 pieces.

One advantage over airplanes is that there is no interior to be done on this build. The manual is pretty detailed so that should not be a problem to get it together.

The scheme looks nice to me and doable, but I need to do some research on how to weather a submarine.

Keep you all updated.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Looking forward to be seeing you dive in to this build. . . . .(sorry - could not help it)

I shall be strapped in, and will be looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 9 months ago:

What a great choice, my friend @johnb!
    Yes, out of your comfort zone, but, coupled with your excellent skills, a masterpiece will emerge for sure!
    Looking forward to this build!

• Profile Photo
    David Kopielski said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Good kit to start on. Looking forward to following along.

• Profile Photo

Thanks @airbum, @fiveten, @davids_models, especially for the special wording 🙂

Today I unpacked the kit.

Three small sprues containing not that much parts but they look nicely detailed.

One decal sheet with just a couple of decals.

Really wondering how this sub will turn out.

• Profile Photo

Looks like a sweet, solid kit to me, my friend @johnb!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo

Thank you my friend @fiveten.

First glueing session has been done and the feels indeed solid.

I was pretty happy that this Uboat didn't have any interior details, I must admit that his is an advantage over aircraft building.

Just two struts to keep the hull together and give it some strength. Next the deck was placed and fitting was quite nice. Just some small touch ups required on the beginning and end of the deck.

Just not sure what is the best approach for painting a boat, to me it is more lickely to first build the rough layout and paint that prior to adding the smaller details.

• Profile Photo

Looks awesome, my friend @johnb!
    Having never built a sub or a boat before, I really look forward to see her painted.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks for nice words @fiveten

Today I quickly build the display stand which makes it easier to handle the model.
    The conning tower is partly assembled and painted. On the picture it is dry fitted.

Added are parts of the section and the rudders on front of the boat.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Interesting subject and it looks like a great kit, John.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Looking great indeed, my friend @johnb!
    Coming together nicely!

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 8 months ago:

This is coming together very cleanly, John. I really like the molded-in detail. It should be fun to paint and weather, which will bring out the nice details even more. I was not aware of the Type II-B boats until now. It looks like a miniaturized version of the VIIC. Clearly the Germans rebuilt their sub fleet after WWI starting with smaller coastal craft.

I have the big Revell Type VIIc partly in the works. I put it away some time ago to work on aircraft and armor for awhile but I may bring it out for this GB. I was in the process of thinning the hull from inside to open up the free flood holes - some pretty heavy duty Dremel work and very messy at that scale (shavings flying everywhere and sticking to my clothing). I came to realize that I had to scratch-build at least half the pressure hull inside once the holes were open and it seemed a bit much at the time. I also have the Revell Gato hull together and some etch done on the conning tower. Impressive how much the American Gato dwarfs the German Type VIIC. U-Boats struggled in the open seas, compared to the big killer cruiser US Navy types.

Looking forward to seeing Your II B done, after which I may be inspired to join the submariner party.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

@j-healy, @fiveten, @coling, thanks for the nice words gentlemen.

This week I was able to apply the camouflage on the hull and the conning tower.
    The colors I used are a mixture created by myself and therefore not exactly matching the original colors.
    I found that painting such an entire boat is not that easy at all, it is difficult to handle the model to get it uniformally sprayed.

Next will be adding the details.

• Profile Photo
    David Kopielski said 2 years, 8 months ago:

That is looking great. The paint scheme looks awesome.Not sure how far you want to go with this, But there are 3-D printed German U-boat figures available in case you want to add a couple. https://www.shapeways.com/product/7E8TG66GH/1-144-german-u-boot-crew-set201?optionId=65052261&li=marketplace

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Looking great, my friend @johnb!
    You did a wonderful paint job!