Chaos Knights

Started by Brian Mennenoh · 118 · 1 year ago · Chaos Knight, custom, LED, Sci-Fi, Warhammer 40000, Warhammer 40K
  • Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Alrighty, this should be a pretty cool build... I'm going with a color scheme I've never painted before so that should add a bit of interest to the clients collection of cool Warhammer models.

Decima & Incarnate Slaughter - Once known as Incarnate Valour, this murderous Knight Rampager and its pilot Decima, fell to Chaos in the throes of battle.

This box contains 3 different knights. The large Knight Abominant and 2 smaller War Dogs. The overall build is generally pretty simple for most Games Workshop miniatures... so that typically means, for me, that I'll need to complicate it in some way. I do plan on 3D modeling and printing at least one weapon option for the big guy. That means I will have to magnetize at least one of his arms to allow for the weapon swap. Depending on the 2 smaller War Dogs, if they have weapon options, they may also get magnetized. I'm not sure if I'll go that far with the smaller ones this time. I may also have to find a way to add a couple LEDs to the Knight Abominant. It is kind of a thing for me.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Amazing triple entry, my friend @brithebuilder! All will look awesome when completed. Looking forward to your extras!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Great entry, Brian @brithebuilder
    The 3D printed weapon will look great on it. The LEDs might be a challenge but I'm sure you will get that done.
    Looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo
    Anthony Ricco said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Look forward. to seeing this one build up @brithebuilder, is it going on your YouTube channel as well?

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, @johnb, @anthonyricco - Thanks gentlemen, this is going to be a fun one. My plan ATM is to have LEDs in the chest shining out of the armor vents as well as in the eyes. The kit, after further inspection does actually have both of the additional weapons needed, the clawed gauntlet and the chain sword, so both arms will be magnetized. I will then be modeling and printing something 'special' for the smaller War Dogs. The whole build will definitely be going onto the YouTube channel.

After a couple conversations with my client, he has also purchased a set of Tyranids, an alien race that this guy wants to exterminate. So I will be able to create a diorama with them being decimated as they attempt to advance on the Knights. Should be a lot of fun.

• Profile Photo

Sounds a lot of fun indeed, my friend @brithebuilder!

• Profile Photo

A bit of progress this morning. I will be replacing the button at the top of the hips with a magnet to allow the torso to rotate. So far a very straightforward build.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Magnetized the torso. 5/16 x 1/16 N42 on the dome above the hips and a 7/16 x 1/16 N52 inside the body cavity.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Coming together nicely, my friend @brithebuilder!

• Profile Photo

Nicely progressing, Brian @brithebuilder
    Where did you get those little magnets from, if I may ask.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten - Thanks Spiros.
    @johnb - Thanks John, I get my magnets from K&J Magnetics. kjmagnetics.com Huge selection of N52 magnets and there's no minimum. I've got some as small as 1/16 x 1/16.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 1 month ago:

I can’t even Imagine what this is all about, @brithebuilder, but you’re obviously having lots of fun. The magnets must be similar to the ones that Tamiya include in some of their kits. The top wings on the Ducati Superleggera are held on by very small round magnets.

• Profile Photo

@chinesegeorge - It's all about the grim, dark future George! Warhammer 40K is a sci-fi storyline set 40,000 years in the future when there is only war. Super soldier space marines battling hordes of aliens bent on overtaking the universe. It's a tabletop game that's been around since the 80s. My part is all about building and painting the models. I have a few friends who actually play the game. The models are very overpriced for 'official' stuff which is why it's great for me that I have friends who like me to work on their armies.

• Profile Photo

I realize now I should have planned the wiring prior to any assembly. Since I didn't plan that far ahead, maybe next time... I do think this will be a valid solution. I don't think the surface wires will be noticeable once painted. I did manage to get them through the tail so it'll be far less noticeable to pass through the diorama base to get to power. I'll hide a push button switch on the base somewhere and there will be a female USB through the wall of the base so it can be plugged into a wall adapter. I also hollowed out the chest/rib vents and the face and head sections.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Not too late, Brian @brithebuilder
    I think once you have painted the wires, they might even add a bit of realism.