Chaos Knights

Started by Brian Mennenoh · 118 · 1 year ago · Chaos Knight, custom, LED, Sci-Fi, Warhammer 40000, Warhammer 40K
  • Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 1 year, 1 month ago:

The chaos runes were definitely fun to paint. They add a lot of perceived detail even though they're quite simple.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Those signs do look really great, Brian @brithebuilder
    What kind of brush did you use to achieve those runes.

• Profile Photo

@johnb - I use a variety of brushes, but I've realized that buying somewhat less expensive brushes and just replacing them more frequently is best for me. The most recent brush set I picked up on Amazon is from Golden Maple, 10 piece set ranging from a size 8 down to a 5/0. I don't really use the super tiny ones... the runes were painted with the size 0. The whole set is $17.

• Profile Photo

Washes on the knight and war dogs is complete. Now, after it dries, I'll go back and add a bit of sponge effect for chipping paint and some fine scratches. I am also planning on darkening the large tusks toward the tips. I do like how the washes have pushed the runes back a bit. They were pretty intense at first.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Wow! This looks absolutely amazing, my friend @brithebuilder! Excellent painting! Looking forward to the chipping paint!

• Profile Photo

Absolutely amazing indeed, Brian @brithebuilder.
    Those washes did give it a great look.

• Profile Photo

Sponging and scratches added for increased wear and tear. I sponged dark grey, silver and a bit of bright brown for small rusty spots. I also painted grey lines and attempted to put a thin silver line above for a dimensional look. In hindsight, the silver line should have been below the grey line, not above... still looks pretty cool, but it is backwards for a groove cut into the surface.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking really cool, my friend @brithebuilder!

• Profile Photo

Really amazing, Brian @brithebuilder
    This looks very realistic, if you can speak about realism.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten - Thanks Spiros, cool is the goal!

• Profile Photo

@johnb - Thanks John, yeah, I agree... realism... if giant machines driven by humans that have been sealed into the cockpit and fought in countless wars across the galaxy for 100s of years could exist, they may look like this. LOL

• Profile Photo

Almost tragedy... I decided to wire up a switch and battery pack to the Knight and War Dogs so I could post a few pics and the Knight didn't light up. I kind of freaked out a little. My last test was fine... after a bit of frantic searching, I found the break in the black wire was between the waist and body. I very carefully used an X-acto to skin the ends and used a tweezers to twist them together (my fingers were too big to fit in the space) and thank the modeling gods, it worked. It's now soldered and the waist has been glued. Unfortunately the magnets placed in there are now useless but with it glued, the connection can't be fatigued anymore.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

What maters is that all is remedied and looking spectacular, my friend @brithebuilder!

• Profile Photo
    Anthony Ricco said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Wow @brithebuilder, these are looking absolutely incredible, so much work, so glad the LED's were fixed, the lights look so scary and add so much to the builds.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten - Thanks Spiros, I don't love the heart attack moments though.
    @anthonyricco - Thanks Anthony. I really feel like most builds can benefit from some level of lighting. It definitely adds a challenge, but the challenge keeps it interesting for me.