Sandtrooper riding a Dewback - WIP

Started by Brian Mennenoh · 85 · 1 year ago · Dewback, diorama, Sandtrooper, Sci-Fi, Star Wars, Stormtrooper, WIP
  • Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 1 year, 4 months ago:

I started a new build today; it's an amazing kit from Stann Arts. http://www.stannarts.com if anyone is interested. The piece is beautifully sculpted and feels like it's going to go together really nicely. I've only attached the legs so far, I'm using Starbond rubberized super glue. It's got great hold strength and isn't brittle like normal super glue. I'll be posting progress shots here as I go, I also shoot video of the whole process to put on my YouTube channel, @brithebuilder. I was looking up reference photos and stumbled across this site today. I wish I'd found all of you sooner, there are some amazing builders here. I'm looking forward to comments and feedback along the way.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

A wonderful entry, @brithebuilder!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo

Thanks so much @fiveten. I truly appreciate it. I'm looking forward to it as well.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Beautiful entry, Brian @brithebuilder
    Love to see the progress of it.

• Profile Photo

I think my scales are going to blend across the seams in the legs really well, but WOW, I can't even imagine doing the scales on the entire Dewback after just this little bit. I know they aren't perfect, but, they should be enough to trick the eye into not seeing them at all. Aves' Apoxie sculpt and a couple metal sculpting tools, then brushed with water to smooth everything out.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking perfect from here, my friend @brithebuilder!

• Profile Photo

Thanks @fiveten. I don't think it's perfect, but I don't think it is going to be an issue. My pattern doesn't quite match that of David Stann, but it should be close enough that it's basically ignored. I do appreciate how nice this community is.

• Profile Photo

This is indeed a nice community, my friend @brithebuilder! Many Good People here!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 4 months ago:

This is really cool, Brian (@brithebuilder). I am a big Star Wars fan, and I have never seen this kit before. Did I miss what scale it is? This is a great place to share your models and you will find everyone is very receptive and appreciative of everyone's work. Looking forward to the rest of your build, especially the paint and finishing. Cheers.

• Profile Photo

To me it looks great as well, Brian @brithebuilder
    The scales follow nicely.
    And indeed, this is an amazing modelling community, lots of friendly and helpful modelers.

• Profile Photo

Thanks @gblair. The kit is an original sculpt by David Stann, http://www.stannarts.com. I suppose it would be considered a garage kit. It's at 1/12 scale so it fits nicely with the Bandai kits I've already built.

I appreciate the feedback @johnb, if very skilled observers such as yourself feel like the scales follow well, then I definitely have nothing to be concerned about as I move forward.

• Profile Photo

I went ahead and added a bunch of Apoxie Sculpt to the base the get the dewback's feet to actually make contact everywhere. I also used a rock from my yard to add some texture to it. I think it blends really nicely now. I obviously also added a bit of sand in places to add even more texture variety and help it blend with my previously built Bandai Sandtrooper.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

That's a great technique, my friend @brithebuilder!

• Profile Photo

Thanks @fiveten, sculpting rock texture is really challenging. Using a rock makes it quite simple. I'ts a technique I picked up from YouTube quite a while ago. I wish I could remember the channel. Same with the craft sand, regular beach sand is too large at this scale, so the craft sand works really well. Actually looks like sand at 1/12 scale.

• Profile Photo

Great way to create a nice base, Brian @brithebuilder
    The Dewback will look great on that.