F-4F-3 Wildcat - Trumpeter 1/32

Started by Colin Gomez · 4 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Here is my Trumpeter F-4F-3 Wildcat. This is the improved kit with corrected shape that answered a storm of controversy after it was first released. I stopped work on this kit some years ago after quite a bit of effort. Not sure why. Interior work is well on the way. I would prefer to do it in the early VF-6 markings for USS Enterprise, mostly due to a certain nostalgia for the old Revell kit that I got as a Christmas gift in the 1970s. The kit decals are not great, so I might want to paint on the stars. Trumpeter's effort is quite nice. I have already added some Eduard etch for the IP and seat bracing. One drawback is that some of the Eduard interior parts were made to fit the earlier Trumpeter fuselage, so some effort is needed to get them to conform - I was finally satisfied with how the IP turned out. This GB will give me the gumption to get going on the kit again. I will need to fit the wires to the ignition harness ring (already drilled out), highlight the fin work on the engine and assemble all that. Test fitting reveals how tricky it will be to keep everything aligned and intact with the engine and firewall set up. I think I will just go with the kit detail on the cockpit sidewall, throttles, etc. Thought about super-detailing further but would rather get things closed up and proceed to painting. It would be nice to have a completed 32nd Wildcat alongside my 32nd RAF F-2A Buffalo. I hope this will be interesting. You don't see many of these built online but I think it is a good kit of a very historic aircraft.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Great you have decided to continue this kit, Colin @coling
    Seems like to be a challenge but I'm sure your skills will take care of that.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Scott said 1 year, 4 months ago:

@coling another cool entry the awesome Grumman Wildcat . This will be a treat to watch 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Another great entry, my friend @coling! Great you decided to restart it. Your progress is already superb, as are the looks so far!