Halberd Models Curtiss SC-1

Started by Tom Cleaver · 26 · 11 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

The Curtiss SC-1 Seahawk was the last US Navy catapult floatplane. Developed in 1942 following the failure of the SO3C Seamew, it was a "self-defending" single-seatscout-observation plane, powered by an R-1830 that gave it better performance than the Rufe floatplane fighter. it didn't arrive in the fleet until just before the Philippines invasion, when it replaced the Kingfishers on the battlecruiser USS Guam (CB-1). It saw action in the final campaigns of the war, spotting for the invasions of Iwo Jima and Okinawa and for Task Force 34 when the battleships began the bombardment missions against Honshu in late July 1945. It served post war until 1948, when it was replaced in the spotter role by the Sikorsky HO3S-1 helicopter. Ship's aviation departments called their charges "Quarterdeck Messerschmitts."

I was really surprised when Halberd Models announced their first original complete kit would be the Curtiss SC-1 Seahawk. But it makes sense since only one 1/48 resin kit was ever released of this, and it is made of unobtainium. If you've used any of their resin aftermarket parts, or done one of the Cavalier Mustangs or their other conversions, you know Halberd is maybe the best resin model manufacturing company on the planet. Beautiful surface detail that equals any recent Eduard kit, excellent fit, etc.

Their first announcement was a production run of 100 models, which I missed since the kit costs $100. Then I heard that after they sold out they realized there was still demand, so they are now taking orders at their website, and when they get ten, they do a production run. So you can get it, but you have to be willing to wait since it is Production On Demand, plus they're doing all that in the middle of a war. But wow, is it worth the wait. And the price.

I ordered this earlier this month after receiving a nice fat royalty check from Osprey (thank you all you book buyers), and it got here on Thursday. I had to take off from clearing out and rearranging the house this week after tests on Monday revealed the reason I was getting short of breath hauling things around was that I had contracted a case of "walking pneumonia." So the kit arrived the week I have time on my hands, and one look in the box told me it had just gone to the top of the to-do pile, with a Top Priority designation.

The kit is relatively simple in production design, there are a total of 64 parts. I've been working on it since 30 minutes after I opened the box and will be painting it this weekend.It's not a "slammer." You have to test-fit everything; I had to dig out the slots in the fuselage halves to slide the wings in and get them properly aligned, and also had to sand down the engine so it fit inside the cowling. It's a good idea if you have a couple previous all-resin kits in your resume before starting this one.

The instructions tell you to attach the wings and horizontal stabilizers to the fuselage halves, and to attach the outer floats to the wings at this point. Not a good idea! The pylons those floats hang from are nice, thin, brittle resin, and guess what? They will break off while you're handling things (ask me how I know). Fortunately the resin responds very well to Zap CA. But the best thing to do, should you decide to get one, is to leave the outer floats off till you have the rest of it glued together.

So, here are photos of the major sub-assemblies, and shots of the airframe held together with two pieces of tape and the main pontoon that holds on a tab that is from both fuselage halves.

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

Amazing entry and great result so far, my friend @tcinla!

• Profile Photo
    Christopher Amano-Langtree said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

An interesting prototype and it looks like you're making very nice progress on it.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

Great work Tom! I'm glad to see you bit the bullet and picked one up.

Mine is in line for paint after I decide what scheme to do. It really is a great kit, though I must admit, i had some difficulty sandwiching the engine between the fuselage halves. My attempts to remove material here then there didnt reveal exactly what was to blame, but eventually I got it all together.

Everything else has fit fairly excellently for resin, which I've come to expect from Halberd.

• Profile Photo

Yeah, I just kept sanding down all the way around the engine, popping it in and checking the fit. The cowling is tight enough that you wouldn't see what was sanded off anyway.

I am doing the scheme shown in this photo of an SC-1 operating from USS Alaska (CB-1). It's an earlier tri-color scheme, with the upper blue not coming down all the way to the wing as the later scheme did. From looking at other B/W photos, this appears to be the scheme that the airplanes that made it o WestPac for the war had. Also as shown in the second photo, the underside of the wing was in intermediate blue for the wingfold, like a Corsair. (Thanks to our own Jeff Groves f or having these shots at his "Inch High Guy" site - a very useful place to find "inspirational" photos)

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Here are the rest of the photos of the kit construction. Into the paint shop today. A grey primer to insure I got everything nice and smooth and then the tri-color scheme, using Gunze Mr. Color (now that there's nobody here to complain about the lacquer smell).

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Amazing progress at, as usual, lightning speed, my friend @tcinla!

• Profile Photo

A coat of grey paint overall to check everything is in place, and it is. With some paint on, you can begin to see the really incredible surface detail more clearly - check the riveting of the main pontoon.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking really nice and homogenous, my friend @tcinla! Indeed, surface detail is awesome.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

A very interesting entry, Tom @tcinla
    Never knew about this aircraft before, so very interested to follow this topic.
    Your clearly have the pace and made some great progress.
    That riveting is impressive indeed.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Well, after a week knocked back on my kiester by the new strain of COVID-19 (GET THE BIVALENT VACCINE - IT SAVED ME!), I'll be ready to take up this weekend what I was going to do last weekend and proceed with the tri-color paint scheme.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

This looks like an amazing kit, Tom (@tcinla). I have never built an all-resin kit before, so this looks really cool. I have always liked the planes that flew off catapults in WW2, especially this one. I got a 1/72 plastic version by Antares back in the 1990s, but I haven't built it yet. Looking forward to seeing the paint and decals. Glad you are on the mend from Covid. My wife and I have taken all of the shots and boosters, and we just scheduled the newest booster.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

I'm glad to hear that.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Glad to hear you are better, my friend @tcinla! Looking forward to your SC-1!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Good to hear you are recovering well, Tom @tcinla