1/48 Kinetic F-21 Lion

Started by Boris Rakic · 10 · 6 years ago · 1/48, F-21, Kfir, Kinetic
  • Profile Photo
    Boris Rakic said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks Louis for coming up with another brilliant idea for a group build! I think I'm gonna roll with this one. Still have to do some research on potential aftermarket, but am already looking forward to some aggressor camo 🙂

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 10 months ago:

You are very welcome my friend. We are happy to have you on board. Aggressor camouflage always looks great. That's a good choice for this one...
    Thanks for starting a build thread. We will be looking forward to your updates.
    Take care...
    Louis

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Nice subject Boris.

• Profile Photo
    Boris Rakic said 6 years, 6 months ago:

I was finally able to start this one, got the paint which will be used, and a nice resin aftermarket seat. Or so I thought...

The kit is ok, albeit a bit basic in some areas. I added some doodads to the cockpit side walls, should be enough as the real thing hasn't too much going on there.

The cockpit tub and IP were given a coat of Tamiya Flat Black, the rear bulkhead was masked off, for the Dark Gull Gray I used Tamiya XF-53 Neutral Grey. I handpainted the black panels and various switches with Lifecolor Acrylics. A pin wash with Mig Panel Line Washes concluded the cockpit work.

Now, the seat. The kit's seat is basic, lacking seat belts and looking rather anemic. My (very limited) research told me these aircraft had Martin Baker Mk.6 seats installed, so this is what I ordered from Neomega. As you can see from the pictures, this is a beautifuly cast and detailed piece and should look very good once painted. Problem is, it doesn't fit. At all. So, some more research... Turns out I will need to use the MB Mk.4, don't ask me why.

Anyway, as the seat can be installed at any time I will proceed with the build as if nothing happended - and maybe do some better research befor I order stuff in the future 🙂

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Excellent choice - can't wait to see it. One of my first builds on returning to modeling years ago was a Testors 1/72 F-21. It is one of my favorite aggressor schemes - kinda reminds me of the Greek Ghost scheme.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 6 months ago:

That's a real shame that the beautiful resin seat doesn't fit. I admire this aircraft and might build one in the future. (I have perhaps 50-60 kits already, so I really need to NOT spend more money on my "toys" - at least until most or all the ones I have are done.

You do great work, Boris - I look forward to more projects from you!

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys. Greg, the colors are indeed the same, and I'm playing with the thought of doing a Greek F-16D while I have the colors available... Saw a couple of them on Crete last year, and their heavily weathered look is really appealing.

Jeffry, all is not lost. The seat can be used for a Blackburn Bucanneer, and I really hope someone will release a new kit soon. And talking about stash sizes: It's the same with me, roughly 50 kits. Maybe I should think about which ones I really want to build, sell the rest, and use the funds for new toys 😀

• Profile Photo

Somehow this kit doesn't like me. After ordering the wrong seat I managed to place a nice glue mark in the shape of my thumb on the fuselage. That is literally the first time ever this happened to me, I wasn't that stupid when I stuck airfix kits together as a child.
    And just now I found out a sprue is missing. Wrote Kinetic support, let's see what happens...

• Profile Photo
    David Hansen said 6 years, 6 months ago:

well, if you spray some primer over it, you can probably sand it down flush and move on. look at it this way- the paint will stick better to the plastic.

I too like the Navy F-21 aggressor scheme...

-d-

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Sorry to hear about that missing sprue. David has a good way of looking at the misfortune. Please keep us posted.