1/72 F-5F Tiger II Sundowner Aggressor

Started by Greg Kittinger · 8 · 6 years ago · 1/72, aggressor, F-5
  • Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 10 months ago:

I toyed with pulling out my High Planes Cheetah for this, but already had the F-5F in my build plan for the year, so that's what I'll go with! IF I see I've got time after I get past the P-39 I'm working on as well as the F-5F (already started), then I may try to get the Cheetah to the bench. I've included a pic of the inspiration for this build - I'm doing an F in the 3-gray scheme, and I'll do an E in the 3-brown scheme (not sure I'll get the E done).

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 10 months ago:

I've started the Italeri F-5F kit. There is an older boxing of this same kit, but this one came with the Sundowner decals I wanted. I actually secured a second set of decals from Italeri so I could steal the shark mouth for a second Sundowner (the brown E).

As usual, getting the landing gear fit into the close position is a challenge. Having to use styrene for the nose door, and some major cutting and putty work on the others. No pics to add yet (other than the box top and decals), but it is coming along...

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Nice Pick Greg especially in the aggressor scheme!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Great Choice Greg ! Like David said, these really look great in the Aggressor scheme...
    Thanks for starting a build thread. And welcome aboard my friend !

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 9 months ago:

They both look good Greg.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Got the fuselage together, cockpit built out/painted, all gear doors on (and seriously puttied, sanded, etc. - terrible fit for this Italeri product!) - tail on and painted with white as a base for the Sundowners decals, metal tail section painted. I just picked up the model colors I'm going to use for the paint scheme, and now need to mix them a bit to try to get closer to reference photos. Paint should start going down this week.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Looking really good, Greg! That Sundowner scheme is great! In EITHER color.

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 6 years, 9 months ago:

That is going to be a nice looking F 5 Greg!