1/72 Italeri Sepecat Jaguar GR.3 RAF "Big Cat"

Started by Ferry Dierckxsens · 38 · 6 years ago · 1/72, Big Cat, Jaguar, RAF, Sepecat
  • Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Again some little progress on the Big Cat. The main wing is glued in place, and a lot of filling has been done on the top and bottom side, there where the wings join the fuselage. Next step sanding and painting preperations.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Ferry - our Jag's are in just about exactly the same place - I'm just about to start filling seams and getting ready for paint. Looking good so far!

• Profile Photo

Thank you Greg, and makes all the fun of building together. Some updates again. I did a test fit with the external fuel tanks, that will work out fine.The cat received it's basic color. I used dark camouflage grey BS381C:629 form the Hataka paint range. The top side will be fully covered by the spotty decals, so there is no reason to paint the top side in the darker shade of grey. I only painted the vertical tail in basic black to have a better basis for the black decal. The grey color is part of the modern royal air force paint set vol.1 from Hataka. It's the first time I've worked with these colors and they worked fine for me. Next step will be a thin coat of clear gloss and start with the decals.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 8 months ago:

You have made some great progress ! It's looking real good too... Thanks for the updates.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Coming along nicely Ferry, looking good.

• Profile Photo
    IAN JACKSON said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Really coming along, Ferry.

Ian.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Louis, slowly getting there and a pleasure to post the updates.
    Thank you Allan, Ian. The cat is starting to get his claws..

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 7 months ago:

I'm pleased to share a small updat on the Jaguar. After finishing my Mosquito I'm back at the Jaguar. Started today with the first decals for the "spotty look". The decals are like a jig saw and take some courage to work on and get them in the right places. They are printed very nicely but are also quite thick and use a lot of Microscale set and sol to bent and shape. It allways looks terrible after using the "set and sol" bur after some hours it works magic and the decals come out fine. So the first decals are put on, see if everything works out according plan in the coming days.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Fantastic work, Ferry. Those decals must take a lot of precision and even more patience! I'm really enjoying your build.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 7 months ago:

I do NOT envy you! It always makes me nervous when so much of the palette is covered in decals instead of paint! Just putting the Sundowner tail markings on my recent F-5F gave me the jitters. When done though, I'm sure it'll look incredible - forge ahead!

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks guys! Yes the decals are quite something to get it right, but I like a good challenge LOL. I'll take it step by step to make sure they dry in a correct way. And I'm happy that I started in the correct order, although not mentioned by Italeri in the instructions. Working from back to front makes sure that the allignment is correct. So this afternoon I did a third session, with the wingtops and vertical stabilizer now covered in decals. And their appetite for decalsoftener is amazingly big. Not finished yet. The cat can dry now.

So tomorrow I'm out and about on a groupbuild with some local modellers, organized by one of my modelshops. See if I can make some photos of the WIP on the spot.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Looking very spotty Ferry !

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Thank you Allan. The work with the decals is quite a challenge to say the least. Some fitting issues around the air intakes. Also the decals on the nose needed some extra work. Takes a lot of patience to get it right, but it's getting really spotty. On with the landing gear, external fuel tanks and a layer of matt lacquer to protect it all.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Wow these decals turned out very well. I'm with Greg on this. I would really be afraid to tackle something with a large area that was covered with decals. Yours looks amazing ! Excellent work Ferri... It should not be much longer and then you can call this one done.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks Louis. I can assure you that you have to be brave on this one with the decals. Finished with the decals now. The canopy frames are painted orange and now the spots have to be painted on the exact places. There are decals for the canopy frames but I was not sure if they would fit well enough. Some small antennea need to be placed and the pitot tubes will be some of the last things to put on. Furthermore I will make a small plinth to show the big cat on. So allmost ready.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.