1973 Mercury Cougar

Started by Rick Wilkes · 16 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 6 years, 9 months ago:

For my first entry for Year of the Cat is this AMT Cougar

This was the first car I bought with my own money.
    I had gotten a settlement for a work related accident, and since
    the '71 Pinto I was driving was a continuous maintenance nightmare
    I bought myself a new ride. Sold it before I left for Germany in 1978.
    Wish I'd kept it, oh well the memories of my misspent youth lol.

I've been cleaning the flash & mold seams off the parts and it's just about ready
    for painting.

This is my ever present assistant "Turbo".

I could probably claim that all my models were "cats" since I'm sure he's gotten a
    hair into all of them

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Great Choice Rick.
    If I recall correctly Diana Riggs car in On her Majestys Secret Service was a Mercury Cougar.
    Great to meet your assistant too.

• Profile Photo

Emma Peel broke my 9 year old heart when she left the Avenger's. My first "crush" on a Star. Fortunately it wasn't a frequent event lol.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Rick, I always admired the marque. Is that a model box Turbo is occupying? Cats just love boxes!

• Profile Photo

Bernard, actually it's the top of the file box I was using as a back drop for Cougar pictures.
    And you're right Turbo do love his boxes

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Nice pick my friend... Years ago another one of my friends had one of these too. This one was all black, and had a 351 Windsor in it... It ran pretty good too... Thanks for starting the build. Looks like you have a great helper too...

• Profile Photo

Mine was the same green as the box art, had a 351 Cleveland and glass packs, just rumbled at idle like it was doing 50. Unfortunately it had that cheesy vinyl padded dash board that the Arkansas summer has split at to pieces, and the upper ball joints were shot. Couldn't afford to fix either one but would go heck yeah it would go lol

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Nice couple of cats there Rick.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Allen, Turbo will certainly continue to be, & hopefully the Cougar will turn out well too lol

• Profile Photo
    Paul Wilsford said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Oh that is a right down decent car. I bet the finished model will be killer also.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 6 years, 8 months ago:

A great choice., I remember a Pinto in my town with lighted sign in the rear saying 'Caution Flammable'

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 6 years, 8 months ago:

My Pinto was part of the first production run, but for subsequent production, Ford, in their infinite wisdom,changed the accessoriy mounts on the engine so that nothing quite fit on mine. First discovered it when the alternator mount broke and I found that only three of the bolt holes lined up on the new mount. From there it was an ongoing cascade of parts breaking that went on for the 16 months that I had it. Fortunately I never experienced the burn on impact feature.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Any updates on your Cougar my friend ?

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Got to fix some “tide” marks and a “run”. Been busy doing other stuff like a week in Florida etc. Now the house is in an uproar getting new floors. At least I know where it is when it comes back around.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks for the updates buddy... A week in Florida and new floors ? Busy man indeed.
    For some strange reason I can paint a real car with no problems... but give me a plastic one and I'll mess it up every time... Runs, sags, errors of all sorts, you name it and I've done them all.

Especially when I spray a darker metallic color (which makes it even harder to do).

I'm sure when the time is right you'll get it sorted out. Thanks again and sorry for the late reply. I just noticed your posting...