Desert Cat - Wildcat over Egypt

Started by Paul Barber · 17 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 9 months ago:

An F4F-3 Wildcat, as a Martlet in a desert scheme, as flown over Egypt (Hobby Boss 1/48)

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Very Cool ! I've never seen those pictures before... Great choice.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 9 months ago:

That's different Paul.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Paul, great idea, not a scheme you see too often.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Xtradecal has a good sheet for this, with a Martlet III where the overall grey factory finish was overpainted with mid-stone on the upper surfaces.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Man - I had never thought of a Wildcat in a desert scheme. I will definitely have to add another cat to my stash for that project... Looking forward to seeing yours (make a good reference piece!).

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Thank you Tom, Greg and all, for the encouragement and guidance - having looked at other builds of these and compared them to photos it looks to my 'untrained' eye that pre-shading is often a bit overdone. I'll need to dig into the literature a little and check details - hopefully what I find out will end up here.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 9 months ago:

I'll be following the progress - great to see a different scheme and different techniques. I'm looking forward to this!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 2 months ago:

So, the first post on this in 7 months! How time flies when you are a painfully slow builder!

Anyway after seeing my youngest off to his first days at school - and what with it being the start of the school year (and being a teacher) I had stalled!

Here are some photos of the 'etch' experiment going on with this one!

I have included a snap of the Eduard instructions for the undercarriage 'gear' - more than anything to absolve myself from blame regarding the slow progress! These parts are hurting my eyes!

The other bits of brass are a good fit and this build will now be my focus with the Mid-Feb looming!

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Welcome back, Paul. It's great to see your work again and I hope we see a lot more, soon.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Paul, just a great choice for a build! Definately out of the ordinary, and little known scheme, to boot. Nice work on that firewall. Say what you will about Trumpeter/HB, they did put out the early F4Fs, some of which were well traveled. Sailors ashore! The other day I was reminded that several FAA pilots fought in the Battle of Britain, and scored some kills flying as replacements with the RAF. All hands to the pumps!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Wow Paul, time does fly... It doesn't seem that long ago that we started this GB. Maybe I'm just getting older... 🙂

The PE parts have really brought out some fine details on the gear well / firewall. Just think about the poor chap that had to manually crank the gear up after takeoff !

Excellent posting as usual my friend.

• Profile Photo

Here's another minor update - not quite the famous 'Iron Works' - but yesterday and today there was movement!

Firewall - still needs finishing - primed (Vallejo black), painted (Vallejo, Insignia white) and tinted using Panel wash (Ammo - dust) - all interiors for the U/C bay were also painted this way to try to achieve a washed out 'desert' worn look.

Engine cylinders - primed (Vallejo Black), and painted (Alclad Dull Aluminium).

Engine block rear and airframe structures - primed (Vallejo Black), and painted (Alclad Airframe Aluminium).

Engine block front - primed (Vallejo Black), and painted (Tamiya medium grey).

Fuselage interior - photo etch used to line - primed (Vallejo Black), and painted (Vallejo RAF interior green + insignia white - 80/20).

Cockpit rear - as above - leather cushion Vallejo Panzer Aces acrylics - leather belt/dark flesh in layers.

Tamiya panel line wash used for most parts.

Afrika Korps figures are not relevant to the cat just me practising my painting (and nothing to get excited about!) - and the various other bits and pieces visible are cockpit etch, spinner, stick etc.

Slowly, coming together!

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Looking good Paul

• Profile Photo

Running late as ever! Hopefully this update will see a little acceleration - the fiddly bit seems to be over! Here's an update to show how all of the sub-builds come together in a tub that fits to the fuselage from below.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.