Du-cat-i 916, Tamiya 1/12

Started by Johannes Gerl · 33 · 5 years ago · 1/12, 916, Ducati, motorbike, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Johannes Gerl said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Thank you, Allan.

The original 916 came with a previously unseen colour of the frame which one could call grey-gold. It looks just terrific with the Italian red of the body parts and I find it looks cool with yellow too. Red and yellow were the only coulors that you could get for the 916 before later on the Senna special edition was released.
    That said, the really cool thing about this paint was that it was flat. I knew the day the first pictures were released that I had to get one. Concerns that it could get greasy, glossy spots over time were unfounded, all the time I owned it, it just looked like when I bought it. Later on when Ducati released updates, e.g. the 996, the frame paint got less goldenish and more glossy which I guess was because of the high costs of the original paint job.
    To represent this coulor in the model I used Mr. Paint Anodized Aluminium with some drops of Mr. Paint Brass. All that was covered with a wet coat of Mr. Paint Flat.
    Tamiya did a great job in modeling this complex motorbike frame though removing the flash turned out to be quite time consuming. Joins between left and right half were carefully filled and the whole thing received two base coats with some intermediate sanding before the final coats went on.
    I'm not entirely unhappy with the result.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking for support that I've got to do this ...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Brake disc drilling is not fun! The end result will be worth it though, put some music on and have a beer whilst you do it!

• Profile Photo

So be it, Richard!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Some news from the workbench.

Frame, rear suspension and engine have been assembled.

I first thought about replacing the steel screws that are used to connect the frame to the engine by some styrene scratch build, but gave up on that idea after a while. The screw connection was just too simple and trustworthy.

The exhausts are pretty much the only part of this model where some weathering can be applied, as the real thing is showing the whole spectrum of colours caused by welding.

The way Tamiya designed this kit, the exhaust parts cannot to be glued together, painted and installed to the bike, I had to paint the parts, bring them on, putty and sand them and paint them again.

All that was kind of nerv-wracking but at the end it all went okay.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Hope the beer helped! I had more than one to be honest!
    That looks amazing so far, the heat staining on the exhaust pipes is spot on. It looks like it has seen a fair bit of track action!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Coming along nicely Johannes, the pipes and disc do look good.

• Profile Photo
    Johannes Gerl said 6 years, 6 months ago:

In the nineties so-called upside-down forks were fashionable. The idea is to put the part with the bigger diameter to the upper side where the bending moment is highest.

A nice and smooth response of the fork requires that sealings are not too tight and at the days, the Japanese supplier Showa mastered the according production process better than any other company. So it was that the flag ship of the Italian motorbike industry came with Japanese suspensions. Brembo Oro brakes, however, are as Italian as Brunello and Amarone and they gave ready to race braking performance to the 916.

The brake discs of the Tamiya kit are a bit on the thick side so I sanded them down to well half the size. Handling of the then fragile parts became tricky, but it all went out fine in the end. The fork/calliper parts required some serious kabuki acrobatics to get all the different paints on. To give the stanchions their chrome look, I used Mr. Paint Chrome on a glossy black base coat and as usual the products of this brand work fantastic.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Amazing ! Simply amazing. If I didn't know better I would believe this was a full on restoration of the real bike... Looks great my friend. I especially like how the exhaust pipes turned out. The bluing from heat looks spot on. But it's really hard to pick a favorite section of this build. The drilled out / thinned down brake rotors look amazing as well.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Louis.
    The build is in the phase now when all the subassemblies that have been prepared come together and suddenly it makes good progress.
    The battery is depicted very nicely by stock. I added battery poles and the ignition coil which was left out by Tamiya.

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 6 years, 6 months ago:

That's looking pretty impressive mate!

• Profile Photo

Thanks a lot, Richard.
    Some more news from the cat today. The clutch line and actuator are finished, all scratch built from styrene rods of different diameters.
    The cable ties are made from kabuki tape painted with Gunze flat black. The colour mix that I used for the line is the one that I originally intended to use for the frame and I'm glad now that I did a second version with a more greyish tone.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Johannes Gerl said 5 years, 4 months ago:

The year-of-the-cat group build is history almost for a year now and embarrassingly I wasn't able to finish this Italian cat in time.
    But hey, I've restarted working on it and there's some heavy sanding and filling going on.
    To attach the mirrors Tamiya foresees to glue them right to the cowling without any sort of guiding element which is of course a suicide mission. Added some 0,88 mm styrene rod as a locating pin.

• Profile Photo
    Johannes Gerl said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Some of the glossy stuff finished.

• Profile Photo
    George Johnson said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Impeccable Work, Johannes! I miss my Ducati now!