Grumman Tigercat

Started by Morne Meyer · 28 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 6 years, 9 months ago:

This is undoubtedly my favourite Grumman propcat! Going to do an all black, weathered Tigercat from the Korean War. Decided to use the AMT / Italeri 1/48 Tigercat and scratchbuild some details to make the kit that bit more realistic in detail. Cockpit details to be enhanced through scratchbuilding and Eduard photo etch details. I started adding interior details to the engine nacelles/ wheelbays with Evergreen styrene. I am going to pose the left engine open so the necessary surgery finished I embarked on detailing the open engine. The rear cockpit floor and front cockpit also received some styrene detailing. All the whip aerials and aerial wires were fashioned from thin copper wire and ultra thin fishing line. A major inaccuracy with the kit is the wing intakes that are blanked off and the wrong shape of the prop blades. I overcame this challenge by fashioning intake details from styrene. The props received squared tips and the prop blade were cut off and correctly positioned by turning them around and slight attention from a sanding stick did the rest. I want to arm the model with two napalm tanks so I sourced them from the spares box. The underwing rockets received new mounting stubs and the fins were suitably thinned. The nose profile of the model is also incorrect in that the nose radar housing is to narrow in profile so I cut off the radome and inserted plasticard to widen the radome and the nose area. The flaps were cut off and attached in a lowered position. The drop tank received a photo etch fuel filler cap. The front wheelbay was slightly widened with styrene to compensate for the slightly widened nose area.

14 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Excellent work there Morne! Really looking forward to seeing this come together.

• Profile Photo
    Boris Rakic said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Now this is some sweet scratch building, Morne! I'll definitely follow this thread. Thanks for posting!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Greg. I just love those weathered Tigercats with their black paint peeling away to show the original Gloss Sea Blue colour scheme and exhaust streaking over the wing and down the nacelles. The Rapier thin fuselage gives this aircraft that lethal look. Pure Grumman muscle. Imagine it's 20mm cannons tearing up a convoy or a Polikarpov "Bedcheck Charlie" at night.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Boris. Scratchbuilding is time consuming but definitely worth the while!

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Ah one of my favorites as well. You've made a wonderful start Morne with the scratch building. I got the Italeri 1/48 scale version also in my stash, so hopefully can build it as well for the group build. Thanks for sharing and I keep following!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Boy oh Boy ! How did I miss this one ?

This is going to be a very nice looking build Morne...your scratch building skills are impressive !

The Tiger Cat has body lines to it like a race car... very sleek and it looks like it's going 500 MPH even while sitting still. I still have one more of these left in the stash pile, and had planned on building it with the outer wings folded to save some display case room. I am anxiously awaiting further updates on this one...

• Profile Photo

Thanks Ferry and Louis for the kind comments! I am a BIG fan of the Tigercat, especially the F7F-3N version. Yes she is a sleek killer and in an all black scheme the look becomes even more menacing!

• Profile Photo
    Dan DeSilva said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Great work so far Morne! Please post pictures of your wing intake work- I have two built and a few more in the stash, but would love to resolve the wing intake issue- have not found anything online or in my books- or maybe I have not looked hard enough!?
    You have inspired me to jump in this group build with an F7F-3P!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 8 months ago:

I'm with you, Morne. The Tigercat is my favorite Grumman and one of my faves of all aircraft! It has such a beautiful shape and wonderful performance. The Germans & Japanese were lucky they didn't have to fight these!

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Your doing beautiful work, on yes a beautiful aircraft .

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Yes a nice start. Looking forward to the progress on this one. Finished one a couple of years ago in the black scheme. Looks more sinister and aggressive at the same time. They are big as well. When you walk up to one it's amazing how big they are. And awesome when they fly. We are blessed here in So Cal that a couple are in flying condition and are a treat when the Chino Airshow has them on display every May. Looking forward to the finish on this one.

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks guys for the positive comments! The intakes in the wing are easy to replicate with plasticard that is bent to form a curved shape. Will post a photo of the scratchbuilt wing intake.

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Dan, I hope these pics can help you with the intakes in the wings. Just bend the plasticard to shape and glue onto a flat piece of plasticard. The lip of the intake just need to be sanded to shape with a needle file.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David Hansen said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Looks good so far Morne.

I have the Ginter book on the F7F and its an interesting story for sure. I know only one pilot who flew the F7F but he loved it. IIRC it was the only multi-engine plane he flew.

Keep the photos coming!

-d-