Jaguar XJ220

Started by Richard Mcstay · 28 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 6 years, 9 months ago:

This is my chosen subject for our cat build!

This was my favourite car when I was a kid, I remember having a big poster of one on my bedroom wall. Not sure if I like the wheels these days mind, and it probably wouldn't do too well round the track against some modern competition! Still a lovely looking machine though!

I got the kit off ebay for a tenner, so quite a bargain. I'm thinking if I could have one in real life I would want a silver one, so I'll paint it that colour I think.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Great choice and a great car as well. You sure had a bargain for this Tamiya kit, well done.
    Silverstone Classic this year is celebrating the 25th aniversary of the XJ220. They expect more than 50 examples of this car on show and also the three original Le Mans 24 hours versions will be there. Looking forward to your build. Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Excellent choice Richard ! Years ago my Dad owned a Jag. His was a "British Racing Green" 1954 MK 7 with a sunroof. It looked almost like a Rolls or a Bentley. Since then I have always liked anything made by Jaguar, especially the XKE's. Yours will be a fine example indeed. Thanks for starting the thread.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Good looking Jag' Richard, nice choice.

• Profile Photo

I'll have to watch out for that one Ferry, I'm sure the highlights will be on youtube! And Cheers Allan!

Thanks Louis! I love the newer fleet of Jag's especially. I wasn't keen on the S-type or X-type era mind...

I borrowed an XE for a day from the local dealer, it was a nice car but I preffered the Z4 I had at the time, didn't want to part ex it in the end. I really like the XJ though, and the F-type. I hired an F-type R for a track day last autumn. That is a stunning car mind! 500 bhp and a luxury interior to go with it.

Here's a few photos of the kit, typical Tamiya quality even if it is an old one. As per usual there is a detailed engine in the back, always my starting point on a car build and probably one of my favourite parts of the build as well! As far as I am aware, there aren't any window masks available for the kit. Looking at the amount of glass, I wish there was though!

I'm just going to stick to the instructions with this one and build it true to the original straight from the box. Even though I don't really like the wheels these days... Still there is plenty of time, we have till February.

• Profile Photo

I couldn't resist cracking on with the engine. As per usual I primed it with Tamiya gloss black then added some metallic paints over the top. I used some chrome from Zero paints from the H2R Kawasaki set I've just bought, and was pleased with the results.

I used the HiroBoy online shop for a few different automotive related products and was really pleased with the service. Both items turned up within a couple of days, tracked postage as well. The address is http://www.hiroboy.com and they are a UK based company, if you haven't already heard of them that is... They have all sorts of weird and wonderful aftermarket goodies and paint sets.

Still a fair bit more of the engine to do, but I'm happy with it so far.

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Silver is a great color for the XJ220. I have a Maisto 1/18 die cast in silver with a second one repainted a metallic burgundy. Also had the AMT 1/25 in metallic BRG. Also a 1/12 Maisto XJ220S in a horrid yellow. It will eventually be silver or burgundy! (In general I think the 220 looks best in metallics!) Great choice for the group build!

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 6 years, 9 months ago:

As far as window masks, when I built my AMT version years ago I did a light gloss over the final coat of paint and let that hold the windows in. Didn't have to mask windows AND no glue on them either! (The side glass was all one piece on that kit though. Looks like the quarter lights are separate so maybe not as easy.)

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Cool car and great choice for this group build. I like what you've done to the build so far, you've certainly got the knack with those metallic paints on the oily bits. Window masks, tricky, and they can make or break the look of the car! I've always been a Jaguar fan, definitely my favourite British car, when I was a kid I remember the D-types winning at Le Mans, and then the E-type appeared, what more can I say...

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Cheers guys, the windows are definitely going to be a task I think.

I've made a bit of progress with the engine. The wishbone suspension clicks into place great even for an older 1993 Tamiya kit. The picture of the kit box at the top was taken from google images, the one I received from ebay was faded and yellowed, and the instruction book smells like old attic! However the pieces were all still sealed in the bags and the kit still looks and builds like it could have been released recently.

The next build step is to attach the exhaust and manifold. I painted them with Alclad chrome and exhaust effects.

And here is one of the progress so far next to another little side project. That's the engine block from a Porsche 918 Spyder. Also apologies the lighting in the photos isn't great, just taken by desktop light!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Nice metal work!

• Profile Photo
    Johannes Gerl said 6 years, 8 months ago:

918 Spyder you say? How, where, what?

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Cheers Greg, thank you.
    And yes, a 918! I got the Revell kit for Xmas. I thought I might as well paint the engine whilst I had some paint already in the airbrush!

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 8 months ago:

It's coming together very nicely Richard. I really like the engine! Color is great and looks the part for me! The Porsche engine looks great too. Looking forward to your updates.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Looking good so far Richard.