Tiger Meet 1991 - Alpha Jet

Started by IAN JACKSON · 21 · 6 years ago · 1/48, Kinetic, Luftwaffe, Year of the Cat
  • Profile Photo
    IAN JACKSON said 6 years, 9 months ago:

...yes I'm still going to build a 'Flying Tiger', but after the Thunderbolt, I really, really wanted to build an Alpha Jet, so why not build one I actually saw in-the-flesh which just happens to be wearing Tiger Stripes !

Not a straightforward build so far, more akin to a limited-run kit than a mainstream injection molded one. These were 'on sale' over at Lucky Model a few weeks back so I snapped-one-up for just £17.00 ! - the Wingman decals, I got from Hannants, they were almost as expensive but d*mn what a fantastic sheet.

More soon, stay tuned.

Ian.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Interesting subject Ian, looking good.

• Profile Photo

Fuselage all done and buttoned-up. The nose weight that you saw in the previous pics is
    definitely needed ! Not too much filling of the left/right halves needed but that's because I removed most of the locating pegs.

Fair bit of putty and very careful rubbing-down needed to fair-in the windshield at the front.

Next will be to repaint the empenage in a flat white prior to the yellow. Won't get any done over the weekend because of 'Daddy Duties'. More next week hopefully as it seems to be a light week for work.

Ian.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Looks like you have made some great progress... thanks for the updates.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Glad you entered this into the GB - I really like the small trainer/attack types like the Alpha Jet

• Profile Photo

Paint is happening !

Ian.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

More paint

Ian.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Wings on - apologies for the cr*ppy phone photos !

Ian.

• Profile Photo
    IAN JACKSON said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Wing roots were a little 'troublesome' which I fully expected, but a smear of Squadron 'Fine' and a little rubbing, polishing and re-painting/masking/re-painting again, and we're all done.

Next I'll mask ready for the anti-glare panel and anti-corrosion areas on the intake ramp & lips. No tidying up to do with the camo, all went exactly to plan - cannot think when that last happened, but I'll take-it !

More soon.

Ian.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Great jet trainer, I allways liked the Alpha Jet. Nice job on this cat-in-the-making Ian.

• Profile Photo

Now with stripes - and a panel wash...

Ian.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Starting to look rather tigerish!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Coming along well Ian.

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys... been working on-and-off on this one over the last week, so expect some progress photos tomorrow.

Ian.

• Profile Photo

Decals finished now - took three sessions to get all those stencils on, but d*mn they look good - next will be a flat coat (hopefully this afternoon), then I'll leave it over the weekend to fully dry/cure and complete the detail painting and final assembly early next week.

Ian.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.