Heinke He-111H20 ???

Started by Tolga ULGUR · 6 · 8 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tolga ULGUR said 8 years, 6 months ago:

Does anybody here have an opinion about the attached He-111 ?
    I found this profile in Kagero He 111 vol1 book. Due to Kagero s book, this is He-111 H20 of 1./KG4.
    But this H20 has an old type upper turret and front machine gun.
    This is possible ?

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 8 years, 6 months ago:

Night bomber, "General Wever" , looks like late war camouflage, 70/71 with overspray of ?, 65, 02?. The subtype could be a -16 or an -18, as you point out, the -20 et seq did have the EDL 131 powered upper turret.

• Profile Photo

Colors are RLM77/76 over black due to Kagero Monograph book. But It s not possible, maybe a combination of 75/77. And the period noted as April 1945 Dresden.
    My sources indicate that EDL 131 turrets began to be used from H15 and H16.

• Profile Photo

Tolga, towards the end of the war, anything goes. I've never seen some little old German guy pop up, and say he painted HE-111s (or anything else Luftwaffe), and it's all wrong. As the thousand year Reich shrunk, under constant attack from all sides, and the logistical chaos, even the Germans had to use what they had on hand, or could scrounge up. I'm not as conversant with RLMs catalogue, I can remember when we thought ALL Luftwaffe a/c were 71/70/65 with temp additions, period. NAH! So, what is 77?

• Profile Photo

RLM 77 is light grey close to FS 36493.
    You can see that 76 and 77 are very similar grey tones in the following link
    http://www.angelfire.com/space/dtskins/color.htm
    It s not possible that the upper surfaces colors of this profil to be RLM 77 and RLM76
    It s like RLM 75 patches over 70/71.

• Profile Photo

Tolga, agree. I confused the issue in trying to suggest the possible color of the lighter tone squiggle, over the 70/71 basic scheme. I've seen it suggested to be Grau 02 or 76. That 77 is real light! The difference between 76 and 77 is striking. Thanks for showing me that.