Comparison build: 1/48 Monogram He-111 H, and ICM 1/48 He-111 H3, Stab/Stg.3 North Africa 1942/’43

Started by Louis Gardner · 207 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 1 month ago:

That bomb bay assy looks simple yet detailed. One of the advantages over the Monogram kit. I wonder if you can modify it to fit the Monogram kit now that I'm thinking about it. Let say if you wanted to display the ICM kit with bomb bay doors closed. You would have the left over parts.Hmmmm

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Chuck,

this is an excellent question... I just had to see for myself... The answer I would give is "Yes" the bomb bay will fit into the older Monogram kit.

I took some photos, so you can judge for yourself...

In this next photo, I inserted the "as built" ICM bomb bay into the fuselage of the older Monogram kit. The bomb bay openings look a little crooked but it's due to the angle of the photography.

Here's how it looks from the side view. Notice that the wing spar location lines up almost perfectly.

The contour from the front fits very well too...

In this last picture, I have shown the open bomb bay area on the Monogram kit. There is plenty of room if you decided to install the bomb bay cells into the Monogram model.

If I was going to do this, I would use the Monogram model bomb bay cover and simply cut open the doors to expose the vertical cells from the ICM kit.
    I would glue these parts to the Monogram part...

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Exactly as I thought. I would do that if I were to build the Monogram kit and using the bomb rack cells and open the doors on the Monogram part. While using the ICM parts. Something to think about. For a future build . Thanks Louis that was great showing that it is possible to modify the Monogram kit. Perfect demonstration.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 1 month ago:

That’s a great demo Louis. Those bomb bay internal parts don’t look like they would be beyond replicating from scratch using styrene sheet. What do you think?

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Interesting comparison Louis, so it appears both models are accurate in scale.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 6 years, 1 month ago:

My thoughts exactly
    Guess some evergreen with the correct thickness and some good drilling tool should be a pair of hours fun work to get something resembling that bomb storage structure

• Profile Photo

Hello again everyone. Yesterday my internet connection was not as it should be, so I didn't get to respond as much as I would have liked to.

Bernard,
    You are absolutely correct. The ICM kit has a very nice bomb bay. I was not aware of the Roden kit, but I don't really keep up with the 1/72 scale stuff anymore. They are just too hard for me to see during assembly and even more so when the painting gets done. If my vision was better...

Luftwaffe ? What Luftwaffe ? Yes all of these German planes like the "Flying Pencil" Do-17, the He-111 and the Ju-88 were all designed from the beginning to haul things other than paying customers. If you look at the Dornier fuselage (quite possibly the Ju-88 too), ask yourself, "Would I fit comfortably in there ?". I think not. They were just trying to skirt their way around the Treaty of Versailles...

• Profile Photo

David LS !
    Hello my friend. I am glad to see that my postings are an enjoyable read... I will pull up another chair beside the work bench to make your "Proxy building" a little more comfortable. I'm glad this helps to keep your motivation going. Hang in there buddy, for you will be back at your work bench soon... Take care.

• Profile Photo

David T.
    Thank you Sir ! It's great to hear from you. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Paul B.
    How are you doing ? I am glad this build log is being well received. Funny you should mention the new Tamiya and Airfix kits... and a comparison build. It just so happened that last night I took a bunch of photos of the new tool Tamiya Bf-109 G6, and I will be doing a review on it hopefully later tonight. It will probably be a two part article due to the large number of photos I took. Here's a little teaser...

I was thinking about building up several similar kits in the future. Things like the new Tamiya Ki-61 compared to the older Hasegawa release, the new Airfix vs. the Tamiya P-51D, this Tamiya Bf-109 compared to the Hasegawa 109. etc.

I posted in error about the side windows on the Monogram He-111.

Luckily Bernard caught this and I learned how the front windows were often painted over. You can see the outline of the windows in the Monogram kit rather well in this picture:

Plus after comparing the bomb bay parts between the ICM and the Monogram kit, I would say that both kits are very accurate. I have found the Monogram does build up a lot quicker, but that is to be expected since ICM has packed a TON of details in the new release.

I have been having fun building both kits...

So please disregard the wrongful statement I made about the side windows on the older Monogram kit. They are there... I hope that I have not led anyone astray. Just check your references when you build your plane to see if the windows have been blanked off or not.

• Profile Photo

Tom B.
    Yes the parts fit exceptionally well so far. They are highly detailed as well.

• Profile Photo

Hello Greg !
    I say go for it and give it a try with the comparison builds. Personally, I find it interesting with how different manufacturers go about doing things the way they do. This really comes into play with the kits being designed and manufactured about 20 years apart. New technology vs. old and they both are an accurate representation.

• Profile Photo

Chuck,
    That would be a viable option. Save the internal Bomb Bay from the ICM kit for use with the Monogram kit. I think it would take only a little modification to make it work...

I'm glad the photo demonstration helped to show how it can be done.

• Profile Photo

Paul B.
    You are correct about possibly scratch building a Bomb Bay. It doesn't look to be to hard to do. It could be made using a punch set (or drill bit of the proper size), a straight edge metal ruler for cutting the sheet plastic, and a nice sharp blade to do the cutting...

Now I am seriously thinking about making a scratch built bomb bay for one or more of my older Monogram He-111's in the stash. Right now would be the perfect time to do this, since everything is out in the open...

Great idea !

• Profile Photo

Tom B.
    Yes these two kits share a lot in common as far as the dimensions go. I didn't realize just how close they were until the ICM Bomb Bay literally dropped into the Monogram kit... AND the main spars, and lower fuselage cross sections lined up !