Comparison build: 1/48 Monogram He-111 H, and ICM 1/48 He-111 H3, Stab/Stg.3 North Africa 1942/’43

Started by Louis Gardner · 207 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Hello Pedro !

You are right on the money with this. It would take a little while but it could be done...
    and it would take the Monogram kit up a notch or two as far as details go.

Now I am seriously considering making a master copy of this for use in future Monogram kit builds.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 1 month ago:

One thing to remember in regard to Monogram later Revell, even during the raised panel line era, accuracy was very rarely an issue, highly detailed kits, just they could be a little labor intensive. At times minor corrections or update the kit. Otherwise they were good. The only one most agree is the A/B-26 kit may be off quite a bit shapewise, but even that if you want to build an Invader, it's still all we have at the moment. And for me it still looks like an Invader, I'll build it. And most of all for the money. Revellogram are still a bargain compared to what Hasegawa etc want for their kits. ICM for one has come a long ways. Watching this review/WIP and ease of assembly so far really is a big help for most of us.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Louis, the Roden kit has the reputation of being real difficult to get to match parts, and a putty magnet. Shame, it's the only early HE-111 out there. Swannys Models site had an article using a conversion kit to do an early 111 using a Monogram, I don't recall whose. A friend of mine has the Roden kit, it was a good price. I wished him luck. In the box, it looked like a short run.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Chuck.

I think you nailed that right on the head there. I grew up with Monogram kits and if I was really lucky I got to build a few Revell kits. To this very day I will build a Monogram or Revell kit without a hesitation. Sure they may not be up to the standards set by Tamiya or Hasegawa but they can still be a fun build provided that you don't get bogged down with trying to reinvent the wheel.
    Thanks again buddy.

• Profile Photo

Hey there Bernard.
    You know what? I have never built up a Rhoden kit. In fact I never owned one. For some strange reason they just never appealed to me. They did make some very nice looking WW1 models though.

I really would like to see a main stream model Company come out with an early version of the He-111 in 1/48 scale. I'm talking about the stepped nose version with the elliptical wing. I'd buy a few in a heartbeat.
    The same thing goes for a Mitsubishi G3M "Nell". I'd buy some of these planes too.

• Profile Photo

After thinking about this for a while, I decided that I was going to take apart one of the bomb cells and make a master pattern from one. So I carefully removed one from the bomb bay floor.

I am not going to take this apart any further than it is right now. I can get my measurements from the part as it sits at the moment.

Call me silly but I'll have a few sets of bomb bays for future Monogram conversions.

This was a great idea Chuck. Thanks for asking me if the parts were interchangeable.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Your welcome Louis, it was at the start a passing thought that I wrote down as a response to your review. While thinking out loud I pointed out that it may just fit or won't take much to modify it to fit in the Monogram He-111. I won't do it on the H-22 as it was used to deliver V-1's to target. But maybe picking up another Monogram He-111 down the road, unless I just get an ICM kit would do it for me. But man with Airfix, Eduards and now ICM bringing out some awesome kits kind a hard where to start. I still have the eyes and dexterity to do 1/72nd scale (a gift from God Amen) there are some 72nd Airfix I want to get as well. I have a good size 72nd stash though most of the stuff I get lately is 48th.

• Profile Photo

Hello Chuck,
    I'm glad to hear that you can still build 1/72 scale models. That is a gift from God indeed. Over the past few years I have only been purchasing 1/32 and 1/48 aircraft models and 1/35 Armor.

You're correct about the bomb bay into the H-22. I'm fairly certain that by this point they had the bomb bay area changed to where they carried the bomb load externally. In some books I have read where this was done with a rack hat could be interchanged, meaning the existing bomb bay could be used if the external rack was removed. Sounds a little confusing huh ?

I would build my H-22 Monogram with the V-1 mounted under the wing... I think it just looks cool.

We are indeed living in what many have called the "Golden Age of Modelling". Lately many manufacturers have really improved their game.

Companies like Airfix, ICM, Revell and Eduard have really turned out some great stuff compared to what they did 20 years ago or so.

• Profile Photo

Last night I built up some parts for the "Scratch Built" bomb bay for a future Monogram Heinkel build.

Here are some photos:
    In this photo I just started punching holes into the dividers that separate the bombs. There are six more holes that need to be punched into each part.

In this next photo I have cut out the outside of the bomb bays. There is a difference in height between the inner and outer walls. This is due to the contour of the bomb bay floor.

The rectangular openings still need to be cut out. I'll try to get this completed today.

As usual comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Paschall said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Hey Louis, I had a LOL moment over the size of your mallet! Clearly well used!
    And about Monogram, I still have a number of them in the stash, with the added goal of getting the Century series of fighters. I built several, the F-100, F-104 and F-106 Dagger, which is a very good kit.

• Profile Photo
    Marc Barris said 6 years, 1 month ago:

See, I told you that you could do it, its really looking good so far, great build. Scratch building is not that much of a mountain to climb. Great job.

• Profile Photo

Hahahaha !

Robert, I'm glad you enjoyed the brass hammer. Years ago I was an automotive machinist. I wanted a brass hammer so one of my fellow employees gave me this one. Needless to say, it's been around the block a few times. It was pretty beat up when I got it.

Good eye !

• Profile Photo

Marc,
    I can honestly say that having watched your builds progress you are the inspiration behind the scratch building you see here. It's nothing compared to what you do, but it's a start for me.
    Thanks again buddy for inspiring me to give it a try.

• Profile Photo

I have been busy with the Waldron punch set today. Now I need to take a break from this for a while. This is very time consuming and tedious work. I messed up several times and had to build two more dividers. Now I have enough completed so I can build up the bomb bays.

These aren't perfect by any means but I hope they look good enough once installed.

Next step is to continue the cutout work on the sides of the racks. You can see where I started on one of these.

Almost one done, then three more to go.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Louis, I have a couple 48th Roden WW I kits. Their decals leave a lot to be desired. They have the only Sopwith 1 1/2 strutters in the scale,(one of which has the wings molded in transparent plastic for the ribbed effect) plus a series of Fokker D-VIIs. Fiddlier than the Eduard ones. The old bugaboo about fitting the engine, and closing up the nose after. Or showing the engine. More choices. They also have a Nieuport 28, which is a beaut. And a Junkers corrugated single seater fighter.