Comparison build: 1/48 Monogram He-111 H, and ICM 1/48 He-111 H3, Stab/Stg.3 North Africa 1942/’43

Started by Louis Gardner · 207 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 6 years ago:

Baby powder or Talcum powder is what makes putty...so real men use ...
    Your mileage may vary and I am sure the formula used by Tamiya and Squadron is different. Back in the day when men walked miles/kilometers to the Local hobby shop...legends live on with T-shirts. 😉

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years ago:

Thanks again everyone for the encouraging comments.

I do like that saying about the filler. You may be on to something here as an idea for a new T shirt. 🙂

I thought I was going to use some filler on the Monogram kit, but I really thought it was not going to need as much. I sincerely took my time and made sure that the fit was as good as humanly possible. Now I'm thinking about going ahead and finishing up the poor He-111 that has been languishing for years now. I think that I may be able to salvage this one.

Funny thing about swapping brands of filler. I seemed to have problems with the green putty. The white Tamiya stuff is working out great for me so far. I have to thank Chuck Villanueva for advice on the stuff.

Anyhow gentlemen I made some progress over the last weekend and I will post it up next.

• Profile Photo

I sanded the filler and sprayed some primer on the He-111.

Here's how it looked before the primer.

And after. I sprayed it on heavy in a few places to fill in some minor pin holes.

The underside of the fuselage looked great and will be ready for painting after it gets wet sanded with some ultra fine 3,000 grit paper.

The sink mark located just behind the cockpit is also ready for painting...

As is the area behind the dorsal gunners position.

• Profile Photo

Remember the stabilizer assemblies ?

I glued them on too.

Here's how the Heinkel looks now...

As usual comments are encouraged...

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years ago:

Found this very clear shot of a downed He 11 I thought might be interesting...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years ago:

That's impressive the pilot landed that thing with every pane of glass intact.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years ago:

Reminds me of this David Low cartoon that appeared in a British newspaper during the Battle of Britain. One of two guys is asking for directions (getting ready for possible invasion, all direction and place name signs were removed) The local says "Go own the road past the Dornier, then left at the Junkers, then on to the Messerschmidt..."

• Profile Photo

David T !

Thanks for this wonderful photo. It will definitely help considerably when I start the masking on the clear bits...

David LS... I also find this amazing that all of the plexi is still intact. Judging by the bent prop, I would venture to say at least the Starboard engine was still running on impact. Who knows about the other side? I wouldn't want to try it personally.

Bernard,
    That sounds like something you would have seen as British a comic strip during the War. It's right up there with the citizens of London taking the propaganda leaflets that were dropped on them by the Luftwaffe during the "Blitz",and placing them in the "privy" to be used for something else ! I remember that scene from the 1970's documentary series "World at War"...

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Now that the FW-190's have been completed, I'm back in business with the He-111's...

After studying the Monogram He-111 that was gifted to me many years ago (and still not finished) I decided that I would tackle the wing join on my build in a different way... This is the plane that I had originally intended to complete for this build but decided against it after seeing just how much sanding and filling would be involved.

I started out by test fitting the wings against the fuselage. Overall, here the fit was decent. I took a few swipes with a sanding stick to get the fit even better. Once I was happy with how the wings fit, I committed myself to the plan and commenced gluing...

I glued the top wing section on first. I got carried away and had most of the wings installed before I realized that I didn't take any pictures... Ooops.

So this photo shows how I glued the Starboard side upper wing in place... Topside first. This is how I installed the other side and it turned out better than I hoped for. This is a deviation from the kit instructions, as they would have you completely build the wings, then install them as a completed unit.

Here you can see that the fit actually turned out quite well at the wing root / filet areas.

There was a slight trade off, and that was the leading edge of the wings just inboard of the engine nacelles was off in alignment, once the remaining portion of the wing was glued together.

Here you can see what I'm talking about.

The Starboard side was worse than the Port side was. I'm hoping that it will be much easier to sand away the high spots on the leading and trailing edges than it would have been dealing with the wing root joints.

Here's how the Port side looks at the moment. I'm hoping this will sand out fairly easy using a sanding block to keep things flat.

This next photo shows how the Monogram kit looks now that I have installed the wings.

and the parts pile is dwindling away, little by little... Here's what is left now.

Calling it a night...

As usual, Comments are Encouraged...

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 5 years, 11 months ago:

The "Spade" is coming along!

• Profile Photo

Bernard,
    You hit post number 100 !

Cool... 🙂

• Profile Photo

Today I managed to sneak in a little more time at the work bench during another hectic day...

Luckily I realized that I had to install the landing gear doors before I went any further. Otherwise I would have had a minor disaster at hand. The landing gear doors are also a part of the main gear wheel wells. Half of the details molded into the parts are for the gear bays. The other half is dedicated to the gear doors.

Even though I was able to install these parts, they were still a little tricky to get "just right" as it took some manipulation from the front where the engine nacelles will eventually be added.

Speaking of the nacelles... I built them up today.

and temporarily placed them on the Monogram kit to see how they fit... They will come back off, and are only held in place by friction.

There will be some filler needed here as can be seen by these pictures.

It will be interesting to see how the ICM kit fares here. If it's going to be anything like I have encountered from the ICM build, this should not be a problem on the other He-111.

But to be fair, the older Monogram kit is at least 24 years old now... and a lot of technology / improvements have been made over the last few years.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Thats a great technique installing the wings that way on the fuselage. I tend to do that as well, it minimizes the work around the fillet or wing to fuselage join area. Doesn't always work for the best, just makes clean up easier around the wing to fuselage join. Your Fw project was amazing by the way. Good job on that. Looking forward to more on this He-111 project.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Wow Louis, roiling right along, your progress looks good.

• Profile Photo

Thanks gents for the kind words... I'm very pleased with how the FW's turned out. Now they are done, I can get cranking on these two time permitting. I would rather work on seam lines at the leading and trailing edges of the wings, since it's easier for me than dealing with losing details at the wing root joint. Sometimes it does make for more work though. On this Monogram kit I decided that I would take my chances... So far it's been OK. Lucky I caught the landing gear doors when I did. It would have been next to impossible to install them once the engine nacelles were added on.