Dragon Tiger I ”Tunisian Initial” in 1:35 (#6608) S.Pz.Abt. 501 Tunisia 1943

Started by Michel Verschuere · 69 · 4 years ago · Alignment, Dragon, Initial, Kasserine, Panzer V, Pzkpfw 5, Tiger I, Tunisia
  • Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 1 month ago:

You've far and a way more ambition than I could ever muster, Michel. Looks to be a remarkable model!

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Here is a picture of the current status, shortly before the main paint layer. The red-oxide color is primer from the rattle-can, the white is a pre-shade I like to apply on the surfaces most exposed sun which - in Africa - scorched the good Earth from about the Zenith...

Next, I mixed an enamel color (Revell) from matt 5 (flat white), matt 35 (flat flesh) and matt sand 16 (flat sand). This mimics the Gunze color marked on the instructions marked "Dark Yellow" but in fact the color of the 501st heavies' Tigers was more inclined to sand than dark Yellow. I added a close-up for you to see what I mean. The advantage of mixing flesh instead of plain white to lighten de sand color is that the end result is somewhat warmer.

I also painted the remainder of the wheels & tools as you can see...

This has been a longer build thus far, combined with the Opel Blitz. I finished part of the dio but the main task of assembling figures, adding kit and painting will take more time. I hope David won't "Tiger" me when I'm a bit late for the ultimate GB reveal 😉

I'll keep you posted!

• Profile Photo

This is fabulous progress, Michel, and no fear: we are open for business until June!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Great work, Michel, and I feel very honoured to be follow in your footsteps in building a Tiger. With that in mind I also have to say that building a tank has not, thus far, resulted in any significant deterioration in my mental health.

Hope you are well Michel - judging by your work that is exactly the case.

• Profile Photo

At some point I thought this build was never-ending: I have not been able to build much lately because of work and then these Dragon kits are very demanding as you know. You probably get 30% more detail out of it compared to Tamiya but you pay deerly in terms of complexity and (over-) engineering at least doubling the building time.

Makes you you dream about the good-old-weekend-build...

Anyway, I'm confident I'll be able to make it by June, David!

• Profile Photo

Thanks David, our posts seem to have x-ed in cyberspace. All fine here since I'm on the bench more often than in the last month 😉 I'm pleased your "tanking" feels ok! Welcome to the tribe mate!

• Profile Photo

So now the beast got speckles...

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Wonderful progress with your Tiger Michel, speckles and all ! I like how you have been painting this one with a step by step description of how you did things and why. It makes the build journal even better.

Hopefully you will get more building time soon...

• Profile Photo

First reveal of the dio concept.

The base is wood and cardboard added a layer of instant plaster. The palm tree trunk is made from turned wire, plumber epoxy, wood chips and paper tape. Gives you an idea...

Happy modeling! Michel.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Oh boy this is going to be good! Can't wait to see the end result Michel.

• Profile Photo

Again, a perfect capture of the ethos of the group build, and a very strong contribution to it. Making us all proud, Michel--fantastic, innovative work!

• Profile Photo

Finished the diorama base today.

Still need weathering on the kit and the palm tree has no dades yet... The leaves are PE from an Eduard kit #36210, I'm pleased with the result. For those who mind, you can tell the wind direction from the palm tree 😉

Now I can finally bring full focus on finishing the Tiger.

Happy modeling.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 1 month ago:

'Over complex and over- engineered' - just like the real Tiger, then.

• Profile Photo

Hi David, yes true. If you read the book by Spielberger you get the idea. Still a miracle they got this thing in production within a year...

• Profile Photo

The diorama is looking fantastic, and that tree...the flora and fauna in these dioramas are show-stoppers!