Tamiya D.520 Dewoitine, 1/48th

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 60 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Perfect timing as this was up next to build in my 2017 to build list. May be the final new build for the year. Got most of what I needed to start, but will do some research for the markings. Find the correct scheme for the time period around the Kasserine Pass event. Actually flying in N. Africa. And oh yeah Go Dodgers!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Dodgers, ho!

I absolutely love that choice, Chuck. Really excellent addition to the build!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 6 months ago:

What a great addition! Some colours schemes for these were unique to say the least - can't wait to see what you come up with!

• Profile Photo

There are some unusual color schemes that appear for some of the units that operated the type in theatre. In fact it had unique paint scheme as flown by the French in Europe before surrendering. Will see what research I find before settling on something that will be a little different.

• Profile Photo

Ok let see whats in the box. The well know Tamiya instruction sheet, parts lay out, paint call outs easy to follow procedure for assembly of the kit. Next is the paint scheme sheet provided for each Tamiya kit. Next the decal sheet which is make by Scalemaster for Tamiya, in place of the the Tamiya decals which were thick. These are thinner and better to use. But the only drawback they are not enclosed in a bag but are loose in the box which as time goes by they deteriorate. The minute they hit the water they disintegrate, so unless you have a fresh kit they will be fine, but for me that had this kit in the stash for over 15 years or more may encounter un-useable decals. Even after shooting some decal film they did not hold up. i like working with the darker grey styrene plastic that Tamiya uses. The Dinah I was working on recently was a lighter grey and was kind've brittle. 2 sprues of parts, not too many parts, the right amount to make a very nice model. Clear sprue with the canopy, windscreen,gun sight and lenses for lamps. And finally the Eduards zoom set for the cockpit. Next up we get to work.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking good and plenty of options, Chuck!

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Great kit of a nice aircraft. Looking forward to your build. And indeed the French did have some great colour combinations on their aircraft.

• Profile Photo

Keeping from the normal interior greens, grays or black. The Dewoitine interior is actually a blue. Since it will be awhile before I build any other WWII French fighter or any other type. I mixed RLM 24 blue and Lt Grey to get as close as possible the shade of blue. It may still be too much blue but not having a good image of what the blue looks like. So with that this is what I came up with. Also while painting some black was able to paint the prop. Not much this weekend. More to follow.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Looking good Chuck - I am really looking forward to this build - such a great choice - I found this on the net - I'm sure you have seen it.

This link is in French - it is a restoration - you can see the colour they have used - however it is very 'new' looking!

http://www.pyperpote.tonsite.biz/listinmae/index.php/les-appareils-en-reserve/231-dewoitine-d-520-n-603?start=1

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Looking good Chuck, reference the interior blue, who knows for sure. There's only one or two in museums and I believe they're in France. Your blue mix is convincing to me.

• Profile Photo

Nice stuff all around! A fascinating addition to the GB, and great progress.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Good start Chuck. Always loved the looks of this aircraft

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 6 months ago:

Looks good my friend. I have built two of these and I don't remember any problems at all. They are a fun build if memory serves me...

• Profile Photo

George, I'm waiting with baited breathe about your choice for the build! 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks Dave nice to do something a little different. The French seem to do their own thing and it shows with the different colorful schemes to choose.

Paul thanks for the amazing walk around on that restoration project. Looks like the blue is not dark enough. But then this will be an aircraft in theatre a little worn. Not new out of the factory.

Tom, unless there is one in the Smithsonian, don't think there is a Dewoitine anywhere in the continental US. As far as I know. Very rare piece.

George, it's like a French sports car, nimble fighter not very big, about the size of a Veltro.

Louis, looks like a typical Tam build, easy to follow fall together only I can screw it up project. Be working on it soon.