D-Day build – 1/48 Hellcat Mk.I

Started by Dmitry Stropalov · 33 · 10 years ago · 1/48, D-Day, D-Day Group Build, Hellcat, WIP
  • Profile Photo
    Andrew Wainwright said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Coming along very nicely Gregor 😉

• Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 10 years ago:

Finally, decal replacement from Techmod has arrived. Also this set contains canopy masks. So, I'll try to finish this kit till the end of group build.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I've prepared model for a paint work. Began with a primer (Surfacer 500). I want to paint fuselage and wings separately and assemble it after applying decals - I think that it will be easier.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I decided to use preshading for panel lines (usually I use only washes) so I've started with it. Then I've made invasion stripes and painted some other details too.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 10 years ago:

You work very fast. What brand paint are you going to use for the colors?

• Profile Photo

I'm not sure about green color - maybe it should be a lightened version of Olive Drab (Vallejo 71043 + 10-20% of white) or more greenish version like Vallejo's 70893. Gunze H74 for the bottom surfaces and H305 for the upper gray color.

• Profile Photo

Today I've finished with the bottom "Sky" color. I've used a "salt method" to make paint coat irregular and create a base for the upcoming weathering. I've mixed a darker variant of the RAF Sky color (Gunze H74 + dark gray) and applied it as a first layer. Then (surface was moistened) I've sprinkled salt and left it to dry out. Then I've applied a coat of a clean H74 color and after that removed salt. After the second layer there is need in smoothing color borders, so I've applied a lightened version of a base Sky color. You can see all steps on the photos.

Also, I've painted an engine. It's not looks so good as it should, but after washes and applying pigments it should be ok.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years ago:

That's looking great Dmitry, thanks for showing plenty of images of your progress. I like to see especially the pre-shading process, which I guess is only possible using an airbrush. Nice work.

• Profile Photo

I think - yes, Gregor, I can't imagine how to do preshading without airbrush.

I've finished with painting camouflage - I've used blu-tack, mascol and the same salt method as I've used for the bottom surfaces. Also I've applied a gray filters (light gray for the bottom and dark gray on the top) and then applied decals. Techmod decals are thin but not play well with Microscale's Set and even with Sol.

Some WIP photos

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years ago:

Stunning! Can't wait to see it finished now. Great work Dmitry.

• Profile Photo

It's time to move on with this build. I've added wash - gray for the bottom surfaces and white stripes, brown for the upper surfaces and black for the control surfaces, wheels and engine. Wash colors is not contrast because I want only to slightly emphasize panel lines, because when you look on the old photos of the aircrafts - sometimes you see panel lines, sometimes you don't. I've applied a mat varnish after that.

Also I've assembled landing gears and glued together all parts except the engine cowling. That's all for now.

• Profile Photo

It's funny, but HobbyBoss kit doesn't contain barrels for the Browning M2 machine guns. I can't find any Hellcat photo where barrels are not present, so I think that this is manufacturer's defect. If someone have any information on this - please, let me know. In the meantime I'm going to make barrels from plastic profile.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 10 years ago:

Speedy progress on this one. I like the variation in the camouflage tones that goes beyond the simple pre-shading.

• Profile Photo

So, it's done! Added seatbelts made from tape, gun barrels (plastic profile). Also I've used pigments for a final weathering - black, sand and brown colors. Gun barrles painted with a Humbrol gun metal color.

Some final WIP photos.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Aleksey Derkach said 10 years ago:

Very nice model, Dmitry! Looks very realistic. Congratulations with finish 🙂