D-Day minus 91 – P-38 build

Started by Gregor d · 36 · 9 years ago · D-Day Group Build
  • Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks Al. The old Mono kit goes together quite nicely, although there was a bit of warping here and there. I'm still undecided on the paint job - NMF v's OD and neutral grey. Apparently the switch to NMF was begining around 1944 for new aircraft introduced to this theatre. In my pics the only paint on the model is the black & white stripes the rest is the silver plastic the kit was produced in.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 10 years ago:

Looking nice Gregor, I have not seen one of those for a while.
    Simon.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years ago:

Progress on the p-38 - "Droop snoot" now attached. As you can see there was quite a bit of filling required to get the nose components to line up. If you want to put in the wee glass windows theres a bit of cutting to do through the thick plastic which forms the openings in the fighter version gun covers, which was fun! I'm now at the stage of getting her prepped for painting, and filling the engine bays with lead to make it sit on the tricycle undercarridge. I have found difficulty in attaining markings colours etc for Droop Snoot ships so i'm going with the suggested markings issued with the kit, which is all NMF with the OD anti dassel panels inboard of the engine cowlings and in front of the canopy.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 10 years ago:

Keep up the good work, Gregor. Your Lightning should look very good!

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 12 months ago:

Latest update for the P-38. I have had a few difficulties with fit in this kit and spent a lot of time making the "bomber" nose fit. This has not been easy and the resultant joins do not bear close inspection! Anyway as you may see from the pictures i'm on the last leg with this build. Main colours are in place and i've managed to balance the beast on its feet. This will probably be the last of my wip's, and i'll post the completed project on "D-Day" with everyone elses.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Yep, this is still a fine kit. The only thing that really lacks on it is a blanking plate to hide the see through effect on the radiators in the booms. Looks striking with invasion stripes on it!

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Hi Greg , It's certainly coming along nicely,have you painted the invasion stripes and anti dazzle O/D before the NMF ?,you made a neat job of cutting out those window openings.
    N.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Actually, the Monogram P-38 arrived in the stores the summer of 1965.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Almost to the home stretch Gregor. Looks good so far.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Neil, Stripes were painted on first. OD areas were masked off before I sprayed the silver, then brush painted on. The windows in the nose section were a trial to cut out but look ok even if the transparent bits don't fit so well.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the positive comments guys. The P-38 will be ready for D-Day 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Gregor, those stripes look a little too straight... 🙂

Looking good so far! I've built a few of these, but never the droop snoot.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Jaime! The stripes deflect the eye from all the other flaws 🙂 I've enjoyed this build but the fit of a lot of the parts has been challenging, especially the transparent parts. Still I'm pleased with the overall look of the model. It looks like a P-38 to me!

• Profile Photo

All finished 🙂 . Heres a quick pic before the main posting next month. In summary a great kit albeit with a few fitting issues.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Droop snoot Gregor. looks great, cannot wait to see it`s posting next month.