Welcome to the D-Day Group Build! – Read This

Started by Editor · 50 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Steven Davis said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Sounds cool! I'm in with a Tamiya 1/48th TF. Mk. X Bristol Beaufighter with invasion stripes.
    This ought to be lots of fun, can't wait to get started and have a WIP to post.
    Good luck all!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 10 years, 2 months ago:

OK, guys, I'm in. I think a Briish tank is in order, maybe a Centaur if I can get one.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Well I am in, a P 47 D, based at Oxted 20th June 1944.
    Yep Gabreski`s mount,
    1/48 scale Academy version.
    This will be fun.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Some good choices there up to now,the Tamiya Beaufighter is a superb kit but i'm glad we have our first piece of armour as well,I was sure someone would do a Sherman ,I don't now a lot about armour so the Centaur is a new one for me and of course gabreski is an inspiring character so another good choice there.
    N.

• Profile Photo
    Erich Goldbach said 10 years, 2 months ago:

This is really cool - Count me in too. I'm going to build up the much maligned 1:48th scale Academy Spitfire Mk.XIVc kit I've had laying around for 10+ years. Looking forward to all the WIP posts.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Frank Cronin said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Neil,
    I will submit something also. Sounds like a good way to honor all the men of D-Day.

• Profile Photo

Nice one Frank, any ideas yet ?
    N.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 10 years, 2 months ago:

OOB it states, does that mean I can nab a pilot out of the spares box?

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Darn you beat me to that, was searching my stash and actually have Gabreski's mount P-47D-25, the Hasegawa kit in those markings in the D-Day time frame. So don't want to duplicate. Have the markings for a Spitfire, but don't have the kit for the correct variant to apply them too.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Have an He-111, BF-109F, B-26B Marauder, Me-110, armor wise which is a great idea, but would be hard pressed to find the correct markings for a vehicle that was in the D-day theatre. Have a 35th scale Panzer IV L/70, a Sherman tank and a Hanomag half track so a few options available.

• Profile Photo
    Erich Goldbach said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Hi Neil, I got my kit at a swap that did not include some of the parts-like two of the prop blades spinner backing plate and the machine guns for the wings. Am I going to be in violation of the OOB directive if I use an after market prop? If so, I can switch my build from the Mk. XIVc to an Mk. IX of 602 Squadron...

• Profile Photo

O.K. lads, pinching bits out of your spares box in my opinion comes under scratch building and is fine same goes for decals in your spares box, Erich the idea of not allowing aftermarket bits was to keep the group build within the spending limits of all and thereby keeping it open to everyone ,although we did say aftermarket decals would be alright ,it sounds like you have an interesting alternative to go at in that Mk ix.

Chuck, those armour kits all sound interesting, I'm looking forward to your choice.

N.

• Profile Photo

Just an open message to everyone in the groupbuild, as it is not possible to add a reply to individual posts like we do on the" front page" I will read the group build page everyday and try to answer your questions or remarks en masse.
    Martin asked me to act as the administrator for this project and I have to admit I was a bit nervous and didn't really know what it entailed but up to now it has been a lot of fun so thanks to you all.
    N.

• Profile Photo
    Site Administrator said 10 years, 2 months ago:

...and hopefully, as we've all done our introductions in this thread, everyone will feel free to start an own WIP topic(thread) for each model (please do, and why not kick it off in a classic way with a parts spread...). Moving on to individual threads should help any who's-responding-to-who confusion.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 10 years, 1 month ago:

I'm in as well, couldn't resist as Dad jumped into Normandy with the 101st Airborne. Celebrated his 92nd birthday last Saturday, His body parts are wearing out but the mind is still there! Told us kids the left engine was on fire when his stick when out the door and flak so thick you could walk on it. Followed a parachute flare all the way down so he was somewhat hidden from all the gound fire coming up.