Server outage today – Here’s what happened

Started by Site Administrator · 8 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Site Administrator said 6 years, 10 months ago:

At 11am GMT today our web server went down, temporarily (although in dramatic fashion) making this site inaccessible. As it turned out, a one of the key software modules on our server had suffered an irrecoverable failure and thus our web server software had to be re-installed from the ground up.

10 hours later, we're happy to be online again, hopefully without further interruptions.
    We apologize for the inconvenience -- please let us know if you notice anything that doesn't seem to work properly!

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 6 years, 10 months ago:

I've also got something that doesn't seem to work properly, but unfortunately, it has nothing to do with you. πŸ™

• Profile Photo

Update: we're still having some work remaining to configure & optimize the re-installed web server. For the time being, the site is likely to be slower than usual.

• Profile Photo
    jim wasley said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Thank goodness I was the last to post some work and I thought it was ME! talk about panic didn't think I had that much power,and Craig can give you the name of a good Doctor here.

• Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 6 years, 10 months ago:

"A little boy sat down and cried
    an old man passing asked him why.
    He said I can't do what the big boys do,
    old man sat down and he cried too."

I can relate Craig. Damn. πŸ™

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 10 months ago:

...and that, gentlemen, is exactly why God invented plastic...

• Profile Photo

@jimbo27, no that wasn't you... it's always the technology... and I we don't think than a user event could have triggered the problem.

• Profile Photo
    jim wasley said 6 years, 10 months ago:

PHEW!