Scale Conversion Calculator

Started by George Henderson · 8 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Handy little tool. http://webpages.charter.net/sinkwich/sdventure/html/sd_scalecalc2.htm Working in 1:48 scale it's pretty easy to figure out the conversion from real life to scale, ¼" = 1 scale foot. I like to work in metric so when I went to check the distance for decal placement from the wing-tip the illustration showed 22", just under a ½" in scale. Using the converter it showed 11.64mm. Conversely, there is another calculator, that let's you figure out if the scale part you have equals the real life item.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Cheers, George - really helpful and especially so for scratch build parts.
    Thanks for the tip off.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Over on that "other site", seems like there's someone asking a scale conversion question every week. Hopefully, they'll see this. Thanks.

• Profile Photo

Hope it's of some use to you David

• Profile Photo

You're welcome Craig. I've seen "other site" mentioned a few times here but have no idea what it is. Should I stay away from the "other site"?

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Hi George, thanks for the link, I've used this program but keep forgetting to bookmark it. Got that covered today.

The "other site" is HyperScale.com. There is a lot of good info over there and excellent models in the photo areas. It does have a somewhat deserved reputation of having more than it's fair share of keyboard a-holes.

For instance, if you post a question, you'll get at least one & probably more responses that will lecture you for not using "goggle" to do your own research, some of which may also question your intelligence and parentage. You will also get good answers and leads to more info, and get to watch the "good guys" rip the "use goggle crowd" for being rude. Many of the folks here also post their builds on Hyperscale but rarely engage in the discussion forums. It is fun to watch a bunch of geriatrics's rip up a model, and each other, that hasn't been released, based on a CAD drawing. The rants about the "fatal flaws" of new Airfix 1/48 P-40B/C went ballistic and ran on for pages, and this was before anyone had any plastic in hand to look at. It's not nearly as bad as the old "rec.models.scale" newsgroup, just go there with both eyes open, and beware of the "red lines"

• Profile Photo

One of my many faults Rick, forgetting to bookmark. While I do go to Hyperscale often, its always to the main page. I may have to venture deeper in, just for the laugh

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 6 years, 8 months ago:

Hi George, I go there every day, and usually glean a few nuggets of gold after sifting thru a lot of gravel. I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the emotion "things" can invoke. The closest I ever came to getting into a full on fist fight, as an adult, was shortly after moving to Indianapolis, a guy from work was extolling the abilities of the drivers in the Indianapolis 500 mile race, and I made the comment, "how hard can it be, you stand on the gas and turn left". Well I now know what a face "purple with rage" looks like. Fortunately he had some friends to hold him back while I told him I was just kidding. Didn't pull that dragon's tail again...lol