1966 Chevy Nova Pro-Street

Started by Jack Mugan · 28 · 7 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jack Mugan said 9 years, 5 months ago:

You guys are having too much fun in this group, so I thought I'd join the party. A friend of mine gave me this AMT kit in a bag last weekend and it looked like a fun build. I have the engine almost complete. I striped the chrome and shot it with Alclad chrome, and added a Fatkid distributor. The kit comes with a tubbed chassis and some real serious rubber on the back wheels. I'm fooling around trying to get the right stance at this stage.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Welcome in Jack, your skills and expertise at this genre is always welcome.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 5 months ago:

This looks like a classic, Jack. Two questions, how did you strip the chrome, and, what colour(s) are you going to paint it?

• Profile Photo

I used Westle's (?) white wall cleaner to strip the chrome, sometimes I use the Purple Stuff cleaning solvent from Wal-mart. Right now I'm leaning toward painting it Tamiya TS-12 Orange, but that could change if I decide to go another way.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Glad to see you want to play Jack. You have probably already used it but I have had good luck with Testors One Coat lacquer rattle cans.
    Like I said in a reply to Simon I use oven cleaner to strip chrome.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Nice build so far,looking nice, so low on the "street"

• Profile Photo
    Joe Caputo said 9 years, 5 months ago:

This will be interesting, Jack. I find it unusual, that like Simon, your last build was a bi-plane... That must be a pre-requisite for building something on four wheels...lol

• Profile Photo
    California Steve said 9 years, 5 months ago:

That is going to be one bad boy there Jack. You mentioned Wall Mart. So if you live in the US, hit the 99c stores and try the cleaning product Awesome. It pops the chrome right off and fast. The Scarab model I made I totally ruined the front of the car by painting too fast. I got a plastic tub and filled it up and immersed the front of the car overnight. The next day I got a rough brush and removed what was left of the paint. Then I lightly sanded the remaining edges with a light sandpaper under running water. The water is important so that the paint doesn't heat up and (roll). I was able to save lots of hours of repainting with this product. There I go rambling again.

I look forward to more of this build.

California Steve

• Profile Photo

Here is an update on this project. As you can see I went with the Bright Orange color. I am stripping the chrome off the front and rear bumpers and they will be the body color.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Definitely orange Jack. I'm hosting a resin theme contest for our car model club tomorrow night. I'll see if I can get some pictures.

• Profile Photo

I love that orange, Jack, this is going to be great!

• Profile Photo
    Bryan W. Bernart said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Great looking ride, Jack!

• Profile Photo

I decided to add a roll cage to the interior and I'm looking for some seat belts as well.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Hey Jack, if you're going with a roll cage and belts then I think you need a decent competition seat for the driver as well , just a thought...

• Profile Photo

That thought crossed my mind George, but as I do not have one on hand I guess it will have to do. The kit has a competition dash board but a stock steering whee,l and comes with Wheelie Bars which I don't think I'll use. I googled this car and found that it is built up many different ways including a roll bar with regular seats. I felt that this was a lot of car to be driven without a roll bar, but I did remove the back seat.