Extensive modification for 1/12 Tamiya 2009 YZR-M1 (Rossi Blue)

Started by Neng Wang · 12 · 7 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Neng Wang said 7 years, 4 months ago:

Hello, everyone, I am new here (not new to the hobby though...lol) and this will be my first WIP in this great forum. However, I have an ambitious plan to make 2 WIP simultaneously:

The first one to make 09' YZR-M1 by using: 1/12 Tamiya 2009 YZR-M1 + Top Studio MD29012 + Chain set + self made CNC machined metal parts + self made photo etch sets.

The second one to make 03' RC211V by using: 1/12 Tamiya 2003 RC211V (Rossi sunflower) + Top Studio MD29004 + Chain set + self made CNC machined metal parts + self made photo etch sets.

• Profile Photo

This is the first WIP to make 2009 YZR-M1 and here is how I started.

Some parts have been glued together for later sanding, some parts needs to be putty filled and sanded then glued together for another sanding

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I cut the unwanted sections to be replaced with CNC machined parts.

Please be noted that: swing arm axle holder sections have been completely removed and added with metal parts (you can never achieve that metal shinning with plastic);

Rear swing arm pivot on the left body has been removed for later CNC parts;

Both front and rear axles will be replaced with CNC parts, they will be hollow just like the real beauty. Getting rid of these ugly Tamiya screws was my initial motivation to acquire CNC and PE machines.

Filled the Tamiya parts with AB putty to add weight, please be noted that both of the side body fairings were filled with AB putty to bury the big holes reserved for Tamiya screws.

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 7 years, 4 months ago:

Looks impressive, I'll be watching your progress with great interest. What are you doing about the carbon fibre surfaces?

• Profile Photo

Sorry, didn't quite get your point?

But I will carbon decal all the internal and external surface where ever the real YZR-M1 has.

• Profile Photo

Not too much progress recently.

Anyway, Top Studio sets are in. Will work on them this weekends.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 7 years, 4 months ago:

This looks like quite a project! I'll definitely follow this one, maybe learn a thing or two along the way!

I've just built an M1 but straight out of the box. I thought the surfaces which required the carbon fibre looked like it would be difficult to line up the weave so just painted them gloss black. In retrospect though I wish I'd gave it a shot, I've used the studio 27 decals before and they are fantastic! However it makes life easier if they have the specific template for the chosen kit, which I couldn't find for the M1.

• Profile Photo
    Johannes Gerl said 7 years, 4 months ago:

Welcome Neng Wang.
    You're really going to town!

You say you bought a PE and CNC machine to improve your models? That means you produced the chain tensioner yourself from a piece of aluminium?

• Profile Photo

Halvar,
    I had the CNC machine for over two years, and yes I write the program and make the chain tension adjuster myself, and yes, from 6061 aluminum and brass, otherwise you won't achieve that metal shine.

For PE machine, I just bought it 2 weeks ago. Still draw the CAD files to make new PE set myself. Top studio PE set doesn't satisfy me. Also, I need some PE parts to accommodate my machined axles.

• Profile Photo
    Johannes Gerl said 7 years, 3 months ago:

Hey Neng Wang. Any progress on this recently?

• Profile Photo
    Adam said 7 years, 3 months ago:

I would like to see some progress too 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Neng Wang said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Sorry, guys, I am too busy recently, will post more updates in about 2 months.