Tamiya 1/20 Williams FW-13B Renault 1990

Started by Bryan W. Bernart · 24 · 9 years ago · F1, Renault, Tamiya, Williams
  • Profile Photo
    Bryan W. Bernart said 9 years, 5 months ago:

1990 saw the entry of this type into the Formula One wars. Driven by Riccardo Patrese and Thierry Boutsen, this V-10, naturally aspirated screamer, designed by Patrick Head, was a departure from the norm, with a transversely mounted gearbox and unique front suspension. Primarily built of composite materials, it still employed a manual, mechanical shifter and the steering wheel didn't look like a computer console on an acid trip.

As the kit itself goes, not terribly complicated and not a lot of parts, it is a challenge to mask and paint properly. Extensive decals could reduce the paint burden, but they tend to be somewhat translucent, so I intend to paint as much of the bodywork as possible.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Looking good already Bryan, cannot wait for more.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Have fun with this one Brian. I look forward to following your build.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Good start, Brian, I think you made the right decision re the painting/decals, it'll definitely look better, but I don't envy you doing all that masking! As for that V-10 sound, wow!

• Profile Photo

I hope I don't regret the decision, George. It'll be a tester.

• Profile Photo

Moving right along with the build and have the engine assembled and painted, except a few small details. My plan to paint the majority of the kit rather than use the large background decals is progressing as well. Starting to decipher "what comes first" in order to keep it simple, which it definitely won't be, is the key( I think!).
    Wheels and tires next while the yellow cures.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

It's certainly keeping you busy, Brian, the engine details look great. Which paints are you using?

• Profile Photo

Model Master enamels and metalizers, for the most part, George. The orange-ish bottom panel has been a nightmare, as mixing of shades is not my forte, despite provided formulas.
    Tamiya call for 4 parts deck tan-which I don't have, and 1 part orange-which I obviously have too much of. First attempt at it provided a lovely salmon color that would have been worthy of certain F4U Corsairs. Oh well.

• Profile Photo

What are you planning to do on the parts which are carbon fibre? I think Tamiya suggest painting them matt black.

• Profile Photo

Matte black it is, George. The carbon fibre decals that are available don't do anything for me. The project has sat idle for a week or so due to being rather busy and procrastinating. Crummy weather coming for Saturday, so at the top of the "to do" list

• Profile Photo
    olivier.rive said 9 years, 5 months ago:

good job i look your building..

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Bryan, this is looking really nice. The engine is beautiful.

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Looking good Bryan! This is how I remember the F1 cars from when I was a kid!

• Profile Photo

I feel the same way about carbon fibre decals. I'm trying some on another F1 car, but I'm having so much trouble with them I haven't felt like posting anything (yet).

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 9 years, 5 months ago:

The carbon fibre decals I use are from Scale Motor Sport, I've never had any problem with them. They spread out perfect with a bit of micro sol. I would highly recommend them if you have never tried them.