Tamiya 1/20 Williams FW-13B Renault 1990

Started by Bryan W. Bernart · 24 · 9 years ago · F1, Renault, Tamiya, Williams
  • Profile Photo
    Bryan W. Bernart said 9 years, 5 months ago:

George, you have no idea how much trouble I've had with the decals on this thing. Brittle, fragile, and have used every trick in my book-a 2 page pamphlet-to make them work. I've photographed every step of the way, and intend to do an extended and rather woeful write up when I'm done.
    Richard, thanks for the info on CF decals, I'll look for some when the need arises.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 5 months ago:

If you are referring to the Tamiya decals the can be very trouble prone, sometimes completely shattering when they hit the water. I usually test an un-needed one first & if it shows signs of problems I will overcoat the rest with a decal sealant. That usually works.
    Haven't used carbon fiber decals much but really haven't had any problems with them.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 5 months ago:

I agree with Al, Tamiya kits are great to build but their decals let them down a lot of the times.

• Profile Photo
    Bryan W. Bernart said 9 years, 4 months ago:

OK, so paint and decal failure with no hope of aftermarket relief. No shelf of doom in my world. Not going to bin it. No way. What to do?
    I WENT TO WAR.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bryan W. Bernart said 9 years, 3 months ago:

Not ready for prime time, but I need to get this out of my system.
    Medium Sea Gray and Dark Green. Decals from the leftovers box.
    Code letters are fortuitously appropriate.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 9 years, 3 months ago:

Just needs a Hispano cannon nosing out the front!

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 3 months ago:

And some Air to Air missiles on the wings!

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 3 months ago:

You never know Bryan one of the FI team members could see this & decide they need to do a commemorative scheme on there car.

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 9 years, 3 months ago:

Looks cool mate! That's the good thing with automotive builds, with the amount of customization potential in the real world, you can really let your imagination take over when modelling them!