Heller 1/48 Mirage 2000C, Armée de l'Air, Al Asha, Saudi Arabia, 1991

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 137 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Hi everyone!

This yet another entry to our friend 's @uscusn Gulf War GB: the Heller 1/48 Mirage 2000C, that I intend to finish as an Armée de l'Air bird, operating from Al Asha, Saudi Arabia in 1991.

The Heller is a classic kit of the Mirage 2000, with good general shape but falling short on details (cockpit, wheel wells and the like...). This build has a tight time frame, so it will be a "quick" one (whatever that means...).

Started it yesterday night, I first added some weight to the nose...

...before closing the fuselage and adding the rest of the basic frame parts... Fit is not all that great, reminding at places old era limited run kits...

More to come (including kit details)!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Another amazing start, Spiros @fiveten
    Those delta wing planes always have an exceptional look.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!
    I find the Mirage 2000 one of the most aesthetically looking planes (I believe I am not the only one 🙂 ).

• Profile Photo

You are indeed not the only one with this opinion my friend, Spiros @fiveten
    They are a pleasure to the eye.

• Profile Photo

Upon engine shutdown, all four elevons droop at about 45 degrees (they are kept horizontal by hyd pressure when the engine is running). The Heller kit has them molded horizontal, which is wrong for a static plane (the Kinetic kit nicely - and correctly - provides them separately). I thus decided to detach them. here they are detached...

Now onto the first coarse sanding!
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

Great surgery to improve the realism, Spiros @fiveten

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Spiros nice start on a mildly challenging kit. I have this kit in the stash as well for a future DS build. So will be watching this with interest. Can't wait to see the markings and paint scheme you will be using.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Another bit of the old @fiveten magic on another old turkey that might be mistaken for an eagle on completion.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @uscusn! It will be the boxart one:

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @tcinla! It is true that regarding fit and parts preparation this kit can be easily considered "limited run" for today's standards, let alone the fact that its details in the ultra-key areas of cockpit and landing gear (incl. wells) are sparse/simplified. Have never built the Kinetic kit, but looks very good with all key details well appointed. However I think I have read that it has some (minor?) shape issues, an area that the "old dog" Heller excels (not surprisingly though: it is pretty obvious that back then Heller kit designers got their hands at the real thing for as long as they liked and then did their homework for getting the shape and paneling right).

• Profile Photo
    Yann Bertholet said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Hey Spiros @fiveten a 2000, I take a seat for this one. Very nice progress so far.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @yann!

• Profile Photo

First coarse sanding, then liquefied styrene treatment, then another coarse sanding commenced.
    The wheel wells were busied up with some stretched sprue (only at their visible areas).
    Here she is, slowly getting into shape...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

As seen at the above pic, the kit provided molded in 30mm guns have a shallow and uninspiring look, let alone the fact that a nasty seam runs exactly at their end...I sanded them away and carved their housing, planning to hollow it and add some scratchbuilt guns...

Thanks for stopping by!