Hasegawa 1/72 T-38A Talon Thunderbird

Started by George Schembri · 45 · 3 years ago · 1/72, Hasegawa, T-38A, Talon, Thunderbird
  • Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Dug this one out of 'started' pile - started about 2 decades ago!

I grabbed some 'pre-owned' decals from a LHS for a few bucks so now I have 3 sets to ensure I'll have at least one complete set of decals to finish the job.

One set I know will not be much good as the decals are pretty much solid, another set I will coat in Micro Decal Film and the final set should actually be in decent shape but I'll still give them a quick coat of film. Original prices on the decals were $2.00 and $2.50 :0

I just love giving these old kits and decals a try, it keeps me on my toes.

Original red putty is actual car bondo filler and the newer Tamiya Grey Putty was just applied recently.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 1 month ago:

The T-38 in 1/72 is really small, George (@georgeswork), so get out your magnifying glasses. Already looks like a great build. Looking forward to the decals, which will make great use of some MicroSol/MicroSet. I got to see the T-Birds flying the T-38 when I was in pilot training in 1977, which was cool because I was flying the T-38 at the time.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Nice one George, an oldie but a goody, have this in the stash myself, looking forward to the end result !

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 1 month ago:

I think the T-birds gave their best shows in the T-38s - they didn't have to fly into the next county to turn around, did the whole show in front of the crowd. I'll never forget the Abbotsford show in 1977, the first time the T-birds met the Snowbirds. The first two days, the Snowbirds are wowing the crowd doing their formation changes in front of them while the T-birds make their "welded" passes, going out of sight to turn around and rearrange themselves. After the Saturday show, they take off and disappear for an hour. Back at the airport club, they won't say anything to anybody. Then the next day when they do their show, they change the shape of the formation in front of the crowd, like the Snowbirds!

This kit isn't that accurate as a T-38 (it's really an F-5B), but I remember it looks great in those decals, having done one waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy back in the early Cretacious. Nobody will worry that it isn't "really" a T-38.

Those decals are about 40+ years old, so be sure to "paint" them with some Micro Liquid Decal Film or youuu'lllll be sorrrreeeeee.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Nice entry to our friend's @kalamazoo great GB @georgeswork!

Good thought of having more than one decal sheet: you increase a lot the chances of those old decals to work uneventfully!

You are already proceeded well: it would have been a pity to leave this well progressed solid kit in your dungeon!

Looking forward to this beautiful bird!

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 3 years ago:

Once again, Thanks Gents for the support and comments. (@gblair) (@kalamazoo) (@tcinla) (@fiveten)

I've always liked the T-38 T-Birds. I remember hearing that T-38's were introduced in the mid-70's because of the oil crisis and the fuel required for one F-4 was enough to fly four or five T-38's.
    I just recently bought new bottles of MicroSet & MicroSol just before your recent provincial lockdown #3.
    When I found the 'pre-owned' decals I checked them out right away and they seems all intact and should do the trick; although, I do have a feeling that I might be masking and painting the wing tips and maybe the front nose sections. I had a frustrating time with the first 2 sets of decals trying to finish an A-4 Blue Angels model.
    You made me think for a minute Tom and sure enough I do recall having to trim the forward wings as per instructions, almost forgot about doing that.
    Some sanding has been done and the nose tip fit does require some shaving.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

You are right, George (@georgeswork). The T-38 came to the T-Birds because of the gas crisis. I was in the Air Force during this period and would go to every air show they had at our base. No one really liked the T-38 for the T-Birds because they didn't have the "presence" of the previous F-4. Not only was the F-4 big and easy to see, but when they kicked in their afterburners for a low pass you could literally feel them before you could see them.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years ago:

@georgeswork - that was the reason. I have to say if you look at the other air forces, using trainers lets them do a better show, airmanship-wise. When I went to what is probably The Last Airshow, back in October 2019 at Huntington Beach, when the Red Arrows made their US tour, and the Snowbirds and the Thunderbirds were also in the show, the Red Arrows in their Hawks and the Snowbirds in their Tutors gave really interesting performances, changing their formations, changing formation shape in front of the crowd, etc. , while the Thunderbirds were big, noisy and flashy. (I think there's a metaphor floating around somewhere in that last sentence.)

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

Nice choice George. People do not always seem to appreciate the smaller planes when it comes to formation flying. I fully appreciate the lack of public appeal to them, and the Danish Air Force are a bit more limited, using SAAB Supporters (T-17) single engined piston planes. Having flown the type I really admire the fine displays they make with the somewhat limited power they have at their disposal. Enough of that from here - I shall be strapped in for an occasional peer at your progress @georgeswork.

• Profile Photo

Yeah George (@gblair), I still remember the first time I saw F-4's flying, two jets from the Michigan ANG were in an airshow and hearing/feeling four J79's fly by definitely left an impression.

Hey Tom (@tcinla), 'big, noisy & flashy'? Well, they are called 'Thunderbirds' right? And it's always a pleasure to meet other North Americans while travelling abroad 😉

Thanks Erik (@airbum), boy those T-17's are small! If they were any smaller the pilot would have to sit on the wings.

Not much progress today...but some filler was applied

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Nice filling job, @georgeswork!
    This beautiful bird is slowly coming to shape.

• Profile Photo

Things were cleaned up a bit with the main gear doors and the nose. Some progressive filler applied and sanded. The complete model was washed with Windex and water using a soft toothbrush to get rid of oils and sanding residue. Just as a applied the first coat of primer I realized I did not notice the small pinholes after the wash (I should have had my Hobby Glasses on 🙁 )

Oil primer went on very nicely, using multiple coats hoping the pin holes got filled in but that didn't work 100%. (same issue with the Sea Venom)

I am happy the nose scraping and filler looks good.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Looking great, my friend @georgeswork! Painting is not that far away...

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years ago:

Looking good George but the instructions say those small intakes at the rear are for the F 5B !

• Profile Photo

That's what I thought too Allan (@kalamazoo), but a few searches show the intakes are there on the T-38 T-Birds.
    Looking at the Japanese instructions part(s) #13 goes on the Left & Right (Japanese Characters Hidari & Migi) sides and the instructions also point to the front wing tabs with many characters and a shaded section removed. I don't know Japanese - I just found a translator page.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.