Hobby Craft 1/72 Canadair Sabre Mk6 – ”Golden Hawks”

Started by George Schembri · 35 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Good day Gents.

Finally found the kit I was looking for in the last box I checked, isn't that always the case?

It's Hobby Crafts Kit # HC1399 Canadair Sabre Mk6 (F86F-10) with front wing slats. Kit write up & instructions note its the "6-3" wing design. I need to read up on the significance of the '6-3' design - I thought the '6-3' was a solid design but the kit definitely has front slatted leading edge. I hope this is the correct version and actually is a Mk6.

Decals will be Leading Edge #72.01 RCAF Golden Hawks 1959-1963 with option for Aircraft # 23651.

Had the pleasure of seeing of photographing the actual aircraft earlier this year at the Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton (I will NOT be doing the cut-away option) which had front leading edge slats.

Thanks to Allan @kalamazoo for the starting the GB.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Hi George @georgeswork!

What a nice entry! This is a superb scheme of a superb plane!

Regarding the wing, to my knowledge, "6-3" wing had no slats, just a fillet above, not present in the slatted version.

Your kit, as well as the real thing, have the slatted wing, so you should be (you are!) spot-on!

By the way, I think the "6-3" wing was a tad longer too...

So, I believe Hobbycraft instructions need(ed) some revision!

This will be a spectacular build in this great Allan's @kalamazoo GB!

Waiting for your progress!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Strapped in and signed up for the ride - looking forward to it George (@georgeswork)!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Nice one George, unlike me I hope you do the wing with the slats open ! it seems the Golden Hawks aircraft had both wings and the span was much the same !

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Finally getting around to this kit.
    Looking closer, this kit has some nice detail. Need to be a little careful as there are no locater pins for the intake and cockpit panels.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Nice details indeed, George @georgeswork!
    This cockpit looks splendid for 1/72!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

That is a very nice tub George!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Looking good George.

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys for following once again.

Spiros @fiveten and Erik @airbum and Allan @kalamazoo

Getting some assembly done.

There are no location aids for the intake and front nose so I assembled in a sequence after dry fitting a few times.

The cockpit tub/intake/front wheel well assembly was loosely placed while the fuselage was glued together.

Front nose section was glued correctly in place with the intake ducting still loosely in place.

Once the nose was secure the intake ducting and cockpit was properly positioned and glued.

Everything fit well - not too shabby for this kit.

Some locators with the wings achieve quick proper alignment.

Small gaps a wing root filled in with Mercury Adhesive M5T glue, had to be careful as a small drop can run a long way and can stay wet for minutes.

Almost forgot to add front nose weight - the ducting and cockpit did not leave too much room and it was pretty much all sealed up.

Luckily there is a small gap in front of the instrument panel. Squeezed some fishing weights and some air gun pellets to fit in the small gap.

Added a little bit of white glue to keep things from rattling around.

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

And now it actually looks like a Sabre! Good to se progress on this fine plane.

• Profile Photo

Getting there George, progressing nicely, always a pain when we forget the lead !

• Profile Photo

Wasn't sure if the gold finish called for a white or black primer, what would you recommend Allan (@kalamazoo)? You had some great looking models with very nice gold finishes - What colour primer did you use?

I had a great experience with the Sea Vixen enamel primer so I went with that again. If a gold finish needs flat black, I'll just spray again with flat black acrylic.

Initial spray looks great, I got away with no putty required as the super glue filled the tiny wing roots and stabilizers gaps quite nicely.

I actually needed a touch of filler on the wing gas tanks as I butchered them as I cut them from the sprue trees.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looks good as is George, my GH was primed with MM 36622, Golden Centennaires looks like a grey, it's only with Alclad that I use black.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

What a great progress, George @georgeswork!
    Nice, clean job and I liked your fish leads save!
    Looking forward to your gold shade!

• Profile Photo

P.S. Always amazed to see Allan's @kalamazoo thoroughly documented and definitely helpful responses...