U.S. NAVY PBR31 Mk. II “Pibber”

Started by Alfred van Paaschen · 42 · 2 months ago · 1/35, PBR, Pibber, Tamiya, Vietnam War
  • Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Hi all,

I want to present to you my entry in this GB started by Carl Smoot. @clipper

I wanted to build a small boat in a large scale.

The solution I found in a boat that played an important role in the Vietnam war.

It is the PBR, nicknamed “Pibber”. PBR stands for Patrol Boat River.

Its main task was to control and inspect the transports across the various rivers.

The PBR starred in the movie Apocalypse Now, which screenplay was loosely based on the novel “Heart of Darkness” by Joseph Conrad.

Fact: I read this book almost 50 years ago as part of my list of English books during High School and I remember it as a pretty tough book!

The kit is typical Tamiya quality with a lot of details, including a radio cassette player, binoculars, ammunition boxes and a few bottles…

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Excellent entry, my friend @alfred!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Great entry, Alfred @alfred
    The parts are nicely detailed, looking forward to see this one being build.

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Here’s my first progress update on the build of the Pibber.
    I’ve been working on the hull. The fitting is excellent, minimal filling needed so far.
    Although the scale of 1/35 is relatively big, there were some very tiny parts (1 mm) to be attached to the outside of the hull. See the two small round ports in the middle.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months, 1 week ago:

This will be a really fun kit, Alfred (@alfred). I am old enough to remember seeing news clips of these in action in Vietnam. Looking forward to the rest of the build.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Coming together nicely, my friend @alfred!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 1 week ago:

That's a great start, Alfred @alfred

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Thanks guys!
    @gblair @fiveten @johnb

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 2 months, 4 weeks ago:

Not much progress other some work on the hull, the bridge and an fire extinguisher…
    Too many other things going on since last week’s Tuesday when our second grandson was born and had a rather bad start. Luckily things have changed for the better and he got out of the hospital yesterday.
    Quite a roller coaster for both parents and grandparents as you can imagine.
    Hope to post some more progress on the Pibber soon. Anyway, here’s the picture.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months, 4 weeks ago:

Awesome that all went well with your grandson, my friend @alfred. I can imagine the rough seas you faced. All good now.
    Your Pibber looks super!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months, 4 weeks ago:

Good to hear all goes much better with your newborn grandson, Alfred @alfred
    Congratulations for becoming a granddad for the second time.
    Being with your family and supporting them is the most important at this moment.
    Despite the roller coaster still some good progress.

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 2 months, 4 weeks ago:

Thanks for your compassion, my friends!
    @fiveten @johnb

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 2 months, 4 weeks ago:

I'm glad to hear your grandson is out of the hospital Alfred (@alfred). I can imagine how that would affect everyone. Work on the Pibber looks good.

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

Thanks for your kind words, Carl. @clipper

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

Shading will look really nice under the final green color, Alfred (@alfred). I am very glad that your new grandson is doing better. It is one thing when something bad happens to an adult, but another thing entirely when bad things happen to a child. My best wishes for no more medical scares.