U.S. NAVY PBR31 Mk. II “Pibber”

Started by Alfred van Paaschen · 42 · 2 months ago · 1/35, PBR, Pibber, Tamiya, Vietnam War
  • Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Some more progress on the Pibber.

Wheelhouse is in place, and the M16’s are attached on the outside of the armor plate that safeguards the skipper.

Masking removed from the hull, quite happy with the result so far.

Also did some work on the turret and the tripod housing the M2 .50 machine guns. As mentioned earlier the kit builds like a charm, no issues whatsoever.

The devil will be in the details though, and that goes especially when it comes to painting the figures that will form the crew on the boat. That’s a total different ballgame for me.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Some really nice detailed progress, Alfred @alfred

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 months, 1 week ago:

All the sub-assemblies really came out well and will really raise the complexity of the boat, Alfred (@alfred). I don't do many figures, but take your time and think about light for shading and highlights and they will come out fine.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Nice work on those guns and the paint work on the boat Alfred (@alfred). I am not sure how much experience you have with figures, but I had very little prior to last year and I started practicing on 1/48 scale figures using techniques I learned from YouTube. Night Shift has some good videos on this subject and others do as well. The thing that started making my figures better (and they are still not very good - but they are better) was using shadows and highlights and very thin waterbased acrylics and / or oils.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Nice progress, my friend @alfred!

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Thank you all for your support, my friends.

@johnb @gblair @clipper @fiveten

Thanks for the tip on the YouTube videos, Carl.

Will do some thorough research on techniques before I start practicing the painting of figures.

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 2 months ago:

Hi all,
    I’ve decided to leave this group build and I hope you can sympathize with this.
    Reason is I’ve got not that much time to spend on building models or reading your building progress stories in the coming time.
    I also feel being member of this group puts quite some pressure on me to timely respond to your respective posts and likewise to spend more time on my own build in order not to lack behind. This gives me a rather uncomfortable feeling, an effect that a hobby should not have on one’s wellbeing.
    I wish you lots of success and fun with your respective projects and look forward to seeing the end result in the headlines over time.
    Take care, my friends.

Cheers,
    Alfred

@clipper @gblair @fiveten @johnb

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 2 months ago:

No problems Alfred (@alfred). I never really intended this to be a group build when I put it together. I just thought that I needed an appropriate group to put my posts under. I guess it morphed into a group build, but there is no deadline or anything like that. Take your time and build at the speed that gives you enjoyment. 🙂

We enjoy seeing the work you do regardless if it gets done in a day or a year or longer.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months ago:

No problem at all, Alfred @alfred
    You should do as you please. Modelling is about feeling relaxed, not to get stressed.
    Take your time.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 months ago:

Sorry to see you go, Alfred (@alfred). You should never feel pressured to comment on posts or other's models. You can engage as much or as little as you want. One way to participate at your own rate is build a kit and then post it in Headlines without participating in a group. Hope to see your models soon.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months ago:

Sorry to see some uncomfortable feelings being built up to you, my friend @alfred. I think this site in general and all groups in particular in no way intent to put any means of pressure: just build what you like, the way you like, have fun and respond as you like, whenever you like. No worries really and the whole idea is that we are a few fellows having fun and accepting each other, each one with his own lovely personality, all nice and easy.

So, no worries my friend! Since we will miss your posts for sure, drop a "hello" post once in a while! Keep it fun!

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 2 months ago:

Thanks so much for your nice replies and understanding, guys.

You're all true friends!

Bye for now.

@clipper @gblair @fiveten @johnb