USS San Francisco Project

Started by Carl Smoot · 212 · 6 days ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Love the blue, my friend @clipper , though I am not shop expert to comment on shade accuracy.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 2 months, 1 week ago:

I spent most of today doing other things, working on my real boat, putting a tailgate ladder on my pickup truck, and some yard work. But I did get a gloss coat on the ship which I like doing because it tends to unify the colors. I also improved and painted the propellers and then installed them. They needed the blades thinned down to look more realistic so that was a bit tedious to do, but ultimately came out okay.

The propellers were painted with Tamiya Dark copper mixed with a small amount of Tamiya Bronze.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months, 1 week ago:

The coat looks good on it, Carl @clipper
    Also the thinned blades do look perfect this way.

• Profile Photo

This looks wonderful, my friend @clipper!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 months, 1 week ago:

The underside of the hull is really looking great, Carl (@clipper). You will really need to be careful working on the superstructure with all of this delicate stuff on the bottom. It sounds like you are letting real life stuff interfere with modeling time, but I guess that is the price you pay to be able to build models.

• Profile Photo

Thanks John (@johnb), Spiros(@fiveten), and George (@gblair).

The hurricane missed us here in the Austin area, so thankfully no flooding or wind damage.Other parts of Texas, not so well off. Hopefully not too serious but I don't know yet.

As for modeling, I still manage to find time to work on them, even on days when I am busy. My modeling sessions typically last about 30 to 45 minutes at a sitting (or actually standing) so they are usually easy enough to fit in.

Today was futzing around with adding PE details. Like most builders, my biggest challenge with these is being able to hold onto them especially when applying CA glue or sticking them on the model. It is pretty cool being able to fold some of these and getting a three dimensional object out of a two dimensional etching.

Before doing any of this, I reattached the model to the temporary base, so any handling of the model uses the wood base rather than the model itself. This can present some difficulties at times, trying to prop the model in such a way that I can position PE, but so far, I have not lost any PE and it all seems to be in the correct location and in the correct orientation.

The Flyhawk instructions for this detail set are really bad. There are many PE parts that are not shown in either photos or in the instructions. I think they expect the modeler to know what these things are. What I am doing is marking off items in the instructions and photos that I have installed so that I can better see what remains. I am also going to look at all 9 sheets of PE and try to identify each piece as to what it is and where it goes. There are at least a few optional parts which I am crossing out with a marker when I decide which ones to use and which ones not to use. But I think this is going to be difficult trying to figure out where each piece goes.

• Profile Photo

You are deep in the detailing process, Carl (@clipper). I am trying to save the PE work for as long as I can. PE and I have a love/hate relationship, so it is fun watching you deal with the shiny brass stuff. Handrails still on the horizon.

• Profile Photo

The trick to PE is not trying to do too much in any given session. I tend to put things down when I feel the anger starting to increase! 🙂

• Profile Photo

Excellent job so far, my friend @clipper! Pity those PEs should are not depicted on the instructions more clearly.

• Profile Photo

Nice progress, Carl @clipper
    Always a challenge to keep the stress level low when dealing with PE. Especially with so much parts like you are dealing with currently.

• Profile Photo

I started going through each sheet of photo etch yesterday and identifying where each part is at in the instructions, or photo, or if neither of them is clear, then seeing if I can match it up to the plastic part it is replacing. I still have a ways to go in this identification process, but in the mean time, I am slowly adding preliminary PE to the deck.

For example, the splinter shields for the gun stations. These are best glued down before painting because they require marking on the deck for getting the curves and bends correct and correct placement. Additionally, I have to consider the best way to paint these. By this, I mean they are a different color than the deck, so I can either paint them beforehand, or after installation. After installation is preferable so that I can spray them (they are quite flimsy). But spraying means that I will either have to mask the deck or mask the shields. I am thinking that masking the shields will be easier than trying to mask the curves around the shields on the deck. SO I have to spray the shields before I spray the deck. See what I mean.

Anyway, forming these splinter shields requires that they be curved and bent to fit the shape of the original molded parts. I am using the wood veneers I cut off as a template to draw the top down shape of these shields on the deck. Then each shield is formed and CA glued to the deck. I anneal them prior to doing this to make it easier to make adjustments. Since each shield is a different PE part number, I am doing them one at a time. This is fine with me because the process of doing this is not easy when the slightest shake of the hands or and inadvertent exhale moves the part from where you want it to sit when gluing it down.

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Looks like massive 3D puzzle to figure out where all these PE parts need to go.
    I do not think I would have the patience to complete such a task, so I really envy your perseverance, Carl.
    Great work so far!

• Profile Photo

Looks indeed like a puzzle, Carl @clipper
    But definitely one which you are solving nicely. You must be really in control of your nerves to get everything in place this precisely.

• Profile Photo

Hi Carl (@clipper): I think we have indeed jumped down the rabbit hole on these builds. Still fun, when taken in small bites. When I look at your gun shields, I am glad my APD has many fewer shields than yours. Looks great, despite the tedious effort.

• Profile Photo

You are doing a supreme job tackling the idiosyncrasies of this build, my friend @clipper! Steady as you go and you will get there. All looking absolutely stunning!