USS San Francisco Project

Started by Carl Smoot · 212 · 6 days ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month ago:

I can imagine you need a break from this project, Carl @clipper
    But all this will be worth it in the end.
    Take your time.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 month ago:

Thanks George (@gblair), Tom (@tcinla), and John (@johnb) for the responses.

George, it mainly comes down to cost. I've spent far too much this year on models and supplies and I need to be more sparing in my choices for purchases. I reasoned I could do the 20mm weapons with some frustration as long as I took my time. I did however also purchase the quad gun mounts as the PE and kit parts are really not up to the task.

They also have 5" x 1.1 single mounts in 3D, but the detail set has this built up from a combination of resin and PE and it looks pretty good. So I will give that a go first.

Tom, I went looking for the Gorilla Glue you mentioned but couldn't find it. There was Gator's Grip Acrylic for PE, is this what you meant? If so, it is probably similar to Ammo Ultra glue which I also use for PE. Do you happen to know if it is thin as there are some applications where thin is needed?

John, yes, I switch back and forth between the ship , the Twin Mustang, and so far to a lesser extent, the foil covered Thunderbolt. I have been after myself to spend more time on that P-47 .

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month ago:

Hi Carl (@clipper): I understand completely about the cost of models. Sometimes I will build a model in the stash and go overboard getting stuff to go with it. I rationalize that the kit is already paid for, so I can afford to buy all the extras like decals, PE, resin, etc. Soon I have spent a lot more than the kit cost originally. My APD was a small ship, so I was only buying one set of the weapons. You can get Gorilla Glue at Home Depot and Lowes. It is in the paint section with the rest of the glues. It is different from the PE glue that Ammo and AK sell.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 month ago:

I've seen the Gorilla Glue at Home Depot / Lowe's that you mentioned George (@gblair). My understanding was that glue expands when exposed to water vapor and would not be usable for PE. Perhaps there is another product from the same manufacturer that I am unaware of. I'd be happy to check it out.

I did purchase some Gator's Glue (not Gator Glue) from Michigan Toy. It's an acrylic glue and they have regular and thin blends and it is designed for PE. We'll see after it arrives. It's probably similar to the Ammo Ultra Glue (which is far too thick for many applications).

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month ago:

Hi Carl (@clipper): I have used Gator's Glue and it is similar to the white glue from AK and Mig. Its consistency is similar to Elmer's Glue. It works great for bonding pieces like an instrument panel where you have a lot of surface area. It gives you a lot of working time to get things positioned. I tend to use it mostly for applying canopies and clear parts. I don't know how it would work with railings.

There are several different types of Gorilla Glue, but I am not sure which one Tom is using. They make a couple of types of super glue, and I think the basic difference is the thickness. One of the types they offer is a gel. I have often wondered if you could use regular Gorilla Glue for PE, and use the water as an accelerator.

In any case, be sure to let us know which works the best. I am sure this won't be the last time we will be applying thin strips of PE to a model.

Cheers

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 4 weeks, 1 day ago:

I'm still waiting on the Gator's glue to be delivered, but I replaced my CA glues with newer bottles and that has helped some. After several days of intermediate work, I have some more work done on the Hangar structure. When looking at this work with my normal vision, everything looks fine. Even when viewing with my head magnifiers, everything looks fine. But boy oh boy, when I take close ups with the camera, all the little errors pop out. Maybe there is a blessing in getting older so that you can look at your completed work and still feel like you accomplished something worthwhile! 🙂

One thing I am glad I did, was not installing the main deck edge railings. There were several times when I had to rest my hand on the deck edge when installing these guns and if the railings had been there, well, they would have been damaged.

I've received the smaller whaleboats, but they still need to be cleaned up and painted. I also ordered quad gun mounts for the aft deck and the forward superstructure, but those haven't been delivered yet.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 weeks, 1 day ago:

Even in your pictures it all looks great to me, Carl @clipper
    Zooming in with a camera will always reveal something but this is not a fair method to judge your work.
    From what I can see, you are doing an amazing job.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 weeks ago:

Definitely dxcellent job so far, my friend @clipper!

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

Thanks John (@johnb) and Spiros (@fiveten). I am pretty happy with this first attempt at ship modeling.

I've started working on the main turrets. Not much yet, but they have a certain order of tasks that need to be accomplished, starting with gluing the main parts together. I have metal replacement barrels as well as some details form the Flyhawk detail set. Getting these all installed and the entire thing painted and weathered in the correct order called for a list of tasks. I'll have more on those soon.

The Hangar building lifeboats have been completed, except for the flight deck davits and lifeboats hanging from those. I was originally going to add these davits and boats right away, but I realized that the glue connections are extremely fragile on these and would never stand up to some of the other work that still needs to be done. So these are delayed until later in the build.

The Black Cat 26 foot lifeboats (3D printed smaller boats in the photo) are really nice. I had to modify the PE they rest on a little to widen the attachment points because the PE was sized for the resin boats from the Flyhawk detail set. I am going to use those Flyhawk boats for the davit suspended boats later.

I also just received the Black Cat Models Quad gun mounts and these are also very detailed. Those will be painted and installed soon.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

Great work done, Carl @clipper
    It is because you tell us this is your first ship build, but it does however look like you have been building several of them already.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

Thanks John (@johnb). It is true that this is my first ship build (as an adult), but I do have decades of modeling experience which helps. However, I consider myself to be a middle of the road modeler as far as ability, perhaps comparing myself unfairly to modeling superstars out there. But what I do have going for me, is a willingness to try new things often. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes, I see that desire to do something and reality are two different things ! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

@clipper, to me you're much more than a middle of the road modeler, Carl.
    The way your models look and how you are trying new techniques, taking this ship as an example, makes you definitely a more than average modeler. For sure I'm learning a lot from your builds. Thanks for that.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

Looking absolutely wonderful, my friend @clipper!

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 3 weeks ago:

It took me several days dividing my time between modeling four different projects, working on my real boat, doing chores, and dealing with other things, but I got the main gun turrets built up and two of them installed. The third will be installed later once I build up the main super structure.

I had a bit of a problem with one of them when painting. For some reason, the clear coat cracked and it looks bad, so I am going to have to try to clean them up with destroying the PE parts.

Building the gun turrets required first building 15 life rafts (5 per turret) from PE and resin detail bits from the Flyhawk set. Although they look a lot better than the kit parts, I wish they were 3D printed as they would have looked better. These parts required having a PE mesh CA glued to the bottom of the resin raft ring and then glue a set of PE ropes on the topside. The mesh is the same size as the inside of the rings which meant that they very easily fell through when trying to place them into place to glue. It took me about an hour to build these up.

The turrets were initially assembled using the kit plastic barrels so I could make sure the barrel bags were mounted straight. Then I removed the barrels and glued on the brass barrels from the detail set. These look a whole lot better.

Life rafts were added, then the assemblies painted and two of them installed.

Next up is the smoke stack deck which includes two smoke stacks and 6 single mount cannon assemblies. These assemblies have to be assembled from multiple PE, resin, and turned brass parts. Fun stuff! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks ago:

Those brass barrels are a big improvement, Carl @clipper
    Excellent progress.