USS San Francisco Project

Started by Carl Smoot · 212 · 6 days ago
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 weeks ago:

This is really looking good, Carl (@clipper). I really like how the colors are coming out on the main ship and all of the details. All of the PE you are adding is really raising the level of the build considerably. You are right about the barrels of the main guns. I can't see how you could clean up the sprue attachment points on the barrels and still have them look right. Fitting out the weapons on the various decks will be an uphill battle, but the extra work will certainly be worth it.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 weeks, 6 days ago:

Fantastic job as always, my friend @clipper! Yes, those brass barrels look awesome!

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 2 weeks, 6 days ago:

Thanks John (@johnb), George (@gblair), and Spiros (@fiveten) for dropping by. It's pretty cool watching this come together, even if a bit slowly. It's amazing to me how these turned brass barrels (as well as other brass bits like machine guns, pitot tubes, etc) get produced. I have a Fletcher class destroyer kit that I purchased some aftermarket barrels and torpedoes for and these pieces are tiny. How they make those is a wonder.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 weeks, 6 days ago:

Hi Carl (@clipper): I hate to admit it, but I went on a destroyer craze back when Dragon was producing 1/350 destroyers for the US and Germany. I think I bought every version of the German and US destroyers that they made. Now I wonder if I will ever build them. Maybe I can built them without the PE? :o)

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 2 weeks, 6 days ago:

George (@gblair), Sometimes out of box can be a great way to unwind. Since you have many of them, sacrificing one (or even two) to "Sans PE" could be used when you want to build a ship but don't want to get wrapped up in the minutiae.

I'm sort of a try it once or twice type of guy (for the variety and to see if I can do it), but an aircraft builder foremost, because these aerial beauties were my first love. This is why I am doing the foiling, the San Francisco, and eventually, a scratch built aircraft.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 weeks, 5 days ago:

My thoughts exactly, Carl (@clipper). I have a bunch of 1/700 ships that will look fine without PE.

Here is a quote from Ernest Hemingway I thought you might like:
    "You love a lot of things if you live around them, but there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, nor any before nor any after, that is as lovely as a great airplane, and men who love them are faithful to them even though they leave them for others. A man has only one virginity to lose in fighters, and if it is a lovely plane he loses it to, there his heart will ever be."

I have been dragging this quote around since I was in pilot training.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 weeks, 5 days ago:

Loved Hemingway's quote, my friend @gblair!

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 week, 3 days ago:

Yes, I am still working on this as well. I finally got far enough along on the searchlight tower to install it on the ship. I will still need to apply a matte coat to it and then I will improve the four searchlights by placing a drop of chrome paint in them and then some clear resin to simulate lenses.

However, now, I am going to work on my real boat and get ready for an outing later this week.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Solid progress and great looks, my friend @clipper! Have a great time with your 1/1 boat!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Great progress, Carl @clipper
    Enjoy the work and outing on your 1:1 boat.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Thanks Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). Hopefully the weather will cooperate this week. It's a very pleasant late summer here, but it has been quite windy for several days. Wind is a problem for me on the lakes, but I am confident this will happen.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 1 day ago:

The complexity of that searchlight tower makes my hands shake, Carl (@clipper). This is really coming along well. The paint continues to look really good. Which lake are you taking your real boat out to?

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 week, 1 day ago:

Thanks George (@gblair). This tower itself wasn't too bad. It only consisted of 6 PE pieces (2 per small shack on each side of the tower, one for the large building at the base, and 1 for the tower. The two platforms where the searchlights go were a different story and were rather difficult to roll, bend, and glue. But in the end I muddled my way through them.

I've been mulling over the choice of lakes. There are really only two that are practical for me, Austin and Travis. other lakes are far enough away that I don't want to spend the time going out there just yet. I'm still learning how to do this boating stuff, so it takes longer for me. But I think I've pretty much decided on Lake Austin this time. I'll only be out there for a day, but I plan on doing some practicing of slow handling the boat in the wind because this is one of my biggest challenges with boating at the moment.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 1 day ago:

Hi Carl (@clipper):

The lakes have revived a little thanks to the rains we have had, but still need a lot more. I have never been a boating person, even though I almost joined the Navy instead of the Air Force. We live near Lake Georgetown, and a lot of our neighbors have boats. I assumed your boat was powered, but if you are working on handling in the wind, could it be wind-powered? In any case, take lots of sun screen and enjoy your outing.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 week ago:

Yes, George (@gblair), it is a powerboat. I should have been more clear. It is handling the boat at slow speeds and being affected by the wind which is giving me challenges. I got to practice today at Lake Austin. It was quite nice to get out on the boat. I really needed it.