USS San Francisco Project

Started by Carl Smoot · 202 · 1 week ago
  • Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Thanks George (@gblair). It really paid off on the masking by determining which way to paint. The splinter shields were far easier to mask than it would have been to mask the deck if I had painted the deck before the shields. Same with other vertical surfaces. And having the PE stairs in place before painting saved me from having to mask this area later with the PE in the way.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Excellent painting so far, my friend @clipper!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Some amazing progress done, Carl @clipper
    The painting looks great as well.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Hi, Carl (@clipper): Dealing with the PE is at another level in model ships. Still thinking about what to add, when in the build, and when it should be painted. Lots of decisions.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

I've been working on the aft deck of the cruiser this week. I'm still confining myself to those items that are relatively low lying. So no gun turrets yet.

There is a fair amount of photo etch for the aft deck, including some pretty cool depth charge racks. I recall ready that the the crew of the USS San Francisco was given a lot of ribbing about these since they did not carry sonar. People were saying something like an "oversize destroyer". But they do look cool sitting there on the aft deck.

There are also a couple of cable reels forward of the gun tubs which were made from PE. I added a bit of extra detail to these by adding a center reel tube and then wrapping some thin solder around it to simulate cable (or rope?).

There are two gun tubs with PE splinter shields which I did in a similar manner to the earlier ones on the smoke stack deck. And a few small plastic parts which had no PE equivalents including two parts between the depth charge racks which I believe may be smoke generators.

I did not do the edge railing , cleats, or bollards yet for this area because I will be masking it off when I paint the hangar building that is not completed yet. Those parts are pretty fragile and I will add them later.

I believe I am going to move to the front deck next, but I want to look over everything first and see if that is the best next move.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Rear deck has really come together, Carl (@clipper). Depth charge racks? Who knew? Another very cool fact. The paint really pulls all the different objects on the deck together. All of your IDs on your photo are correct. I am getting ready to print replacement gun director platforms for mine. They will be solid, so a lot more robust. Looking forward to the next installment.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Thanks George (@gblair). Painting is a challenge because I have to think several steps ahead. For example, when I do install the deck edge railings and cleats and bollards, they will still be brass colored, so how am I going to paint them them without getting paint on other areas. Masking, obviously, but if there are fragile bits in the way, then masking becomes much more difficult.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Those ammo boxes are ammo lockers.

Nice work on this.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Really nice progress on the rear deck, Carl @clipper
    Lots of details already.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the clarification and the compliment Tom (@tcinla).

Thanks John (@johnb) for the compliment.

I recently finished re-reading Neptune's Inferno written by James Hornfischer. Excellent book and really puts you into the environment that these brave souls experienced. The USS San Francisco was part of a group of cruisers that fought several battles with the Japanese Imperial Fleet, suffering grievously through a variety of reasons, including inadequate usage of the available technology (SG Radar), an under appreciation of the skill of the Japanese fleet in night actions, and some poor communications. Despite this, they ultimately contributed to defeating the Japanese at Guadalcanal.

I found it particularly interesting that the San Francisco got in a situation where it was able to so seriously damage the Japanese Battleship Hiei, that it was eventually sunk the next day from follow on air attacks. The Hiei was a much larger ship with far larger weapons, but at the range this particular battle was fought, the San Francisco's 8 inch guns did some very serious damage.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 1 week ago:

The aft area looks really great, my friend @clipper! Great information from Neptune's Inferno book!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Hi Carl (@clipper). I love reading Hornfischer and have read all of his books on the Pacific War. I was sad that he passed away. His books have given me several ideas for kits.

• Profile Photo

George (@gblair), It was Hornfischer's "Last Stand Of The Tin Can Sailors" that got me to buy my first ship kit, a "Fletcher class destroyer from Tamiya in 1/350 scale. I was originally going to make that my first ship build, but the San Francisco build took priority because I was looking for something with a bit more presence.

I've got some real cool PE and other aftermarket stuff for the Fletcher, including torpedoes for the launchers. So at some point I want to build that kit as well.

• Profile Photo

The fore deck has now been detailed and painted. I was a bit confused at first about how to do the anchor chain. Looking at photos, I could see more than one chain going to each deck hawse hole. After doing a bit of research, I found out that there are two chains used. One of for holding the ship while at anchor. The other is a shorter chain that is used to keep the anchor up against the hull side when it is fully stowed.

The deck details molded on the kit are a bit on the weak side so I've dressed them up a bit. The shorter chains would have connected to a small cylinder molded on the deck if I had left them stock. But it looked like the real items are secured using a "U" bracket on the deck and a clevis bolt, so I made some really small versions of this and replaced the molded detail.

I had previously removed the molded in deck chain earlier in the project because the wood veneer kit contained a brass chain replacement.This arrangement on the deck was different in the drawings and photos from how the kit originally molded it, so I installed it to match the photos (at least as best I could).

There was a molded hatch in the center of the fore deck which barely stuck up from the deck, but on the real ship, this is raised up from the deck by an appreciable amount. Since there was no PE to replace this, I borrowed part of one of the smaller PE hatches and stuck it on a small rectangle of plastic which was then glued to a smaller bit of plastic to raise it up from the deck. The entire piece was then glued to the deck.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 1 week ago:

The front area looks excellent after all your extra work, my friend @clipper!