Fujimi 72nd scale F/A-18D

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 14 · 5 days ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 months ago:

I had this already planned to build, the recent build from Alan Withers, excellent RAAF Legacy Hornet motivated me to get it started. Long in the stash, and it has been quite awhile building a Hornet, 1st in this scale.

I have the Hase kit also of the Delta. The Fujimi has bit more detail in providing a full intake trunking, the fuselage is more complicated in assembly in how the Hase F/A-18 is in 48th scale.

In the box parts in baggies, typical Fujimi grey plastic of the day.

The instruction sheet is a fold out type with a assembly process that starts in the cockpit. Brief summary fo the Hornet, parts map and paint guide chart.

The decal sheet are for 2 USMC VMFA squadrons. Also a Pe fret that is a nice touch.

I picked up the Kits World interior console set, similar to Quinta's style. Instrument panels and side consoles, I have a set of Verlinden resin seats coming to replace the kit seats.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 months ago:

Hi, Chuck (@uscusn): I had no idea that Fujimi had made a model of "D". It looks like it will be a really great model, especially with all of the goodies you have for it. Looking forward to the rest of the build.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months ago:

Great entry and excellent kit presentation, my friend @uscusn! Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months ago:

Seems like a great kit, Chuck @uscusn
    Looking forward to this build.

• Profile Photo

Hi George, it was a series of F/A-18's that Fujimi launched in 1994 starting with the "C", then the "D" followed by an "A", a year later in 1995, Fujimi re-boxed the "C" with Canadian markings. Don't think they ever did any of the Super Hornets since. Since the initial release they have been re-boxed with new decals and extra parts from the original run. They are a little bit more detailed than the Hasegawa F/A-18's. You can pose the horizontal stabs on the Fujimi, the Hase kit has them moulded into the upper fuselage half.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros, it has been a while building something Navy/Marine.
    Thanks John, me too.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 weeks, 6 days ago:

A quick update. As per my usual method I pre-painted the interior components on the sprue using Gunze Aqueous Dk Gull Grey, 36320, cockpit tub, control sticks, side interior walls.

Next using Tamiya Gloss White, to paint the wheel bays, gear door interiors, intake trunks, wheels and the gear struts.

In this scale, which is nice to get a decent set of full intakes. I won't worry to much about the seam.

The nose and main gear bay doors show some decent details within the doors. And the rear dive brake door.

Fujimi supples a set of mains and nose wheel with a weighted feature, not really accurate as these were hi pressure tires to support weight and the impact of carrier landings, were rarely seen with any kind of bulge even when loaded up with ordnance. The nose strut is at a normal position,

next up step one starting in the cockpit.

More to follow

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

This should build up nicely, Chuck (@uscusn). Looking forward to the rest.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

Nice painting results so far, my friend @uscusn!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

Very nice paint results, Chuck @uscusn

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 days, 5 hours ago:

Thanks George, for 72nd scale, there is a bit more details compared to the recently assembled F-16, and I have built a Fujimi F-16 that is far more simple than the Hornet.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 days, 5 hours ago:

Thanks Spiros and John, the pre-painting done, now lets start building.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 days, 4 hours ago:

Step 1 starts in the cockpit, 1st with the tub.

Using the Kits world cockpit enhancement decals. Will be using these for the 1st time and similar in appliction to the Quinta sets. As a precaution I use a bit of white glue to help each piece stay in place permanently. So far none of the similar new style of interior enhancements have fallen off. In any of the finished models. The oldest is the Tamiya P-38F which is now 3 years old. So each panel are placed on the 4 side consoles on front and rear compartments.

The control strick is installed.

Next is to upgrade ft and rear instrument panels with the enhanced crt panels.
    ]
    Then each panel are installed into the cockpit tub.

Will build the seats later. Next is to work on step 2 and prepare the forward nose section.

Fujimi have nice engraved details on the forward fuselage section.

The cockpit was test fitted to check fit and alignment. Fit is good.

Next a lead weight is placed on the lower insert panel and the installed in place under the forward nose section.

The rear instrument panel coaming and the forward IP panel are installed after the fuselage halves are mated.

next up to assemble the rear section.
    more to follow

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 days, 6 hours ago:

Great work on the interior, Chuck @uscusn
    Those enhancement decals are definitely an improvement.