Mig-15bis 1/48 by Monogram

Started by Martin · 18 · 6 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Martin said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

This old bugger I startedsome weeks or so ago. It is a typical old Monogram kit from the 70ies, quite some nice details but eaised panel lines. It is so far OOB except the straps, those are made from small stripes of masking tape and some bended metal parts 0,3 soldering wire to exact.

The figure is also quite nice considering it is an almost 50 years old kit. And well, my figure painting has a lot room to improve ...

That camo I found in the web. Those decals are all that were with the kit for a North Korean Mig and they don't behave very well but nothig which a bit of Future can't cure. The white areas for the nationals had to masked and painted as those decals of the kit are thought to went on a metal Mig-15.

The last steps, weathering, sealing and a base are still missing and will follow soon, but be warned, I'm slow, I only have one or two evenings per week at the bench, so it will take some time.

Thanks fpr looking in
    Cheers
    Martin

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Excellent entry and awesome looks so far, my friend @impisi! Love the chosen camo!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Nice entry and already some great progress, Martin @impisi
    The camouflage paintwork looks great, as does your paintwork on the pilot.

• Profile Photo

Thanks a lot Spiros (@fiveten), that camo looks almost perfect for my desk 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks a lot, John (@johnb)

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

The only thing wrong with this kit is that it's about 1/40 rather than 1/48 (if you do the Monogram F-86 - which is 1/48 - they are about the same size), a fact I wasn't aware of till two real MiG-15s showed up at Planes of Fame in the mid-80s and I realized how small that airplane actually is.

Displayed by itself, the kit is a model that does still hold up over the years.

• Profile Photo
    Martin said 6 months, 1 week ago:

Thanks a lot Gentlemen! I really appreciate all your kind comments

Thank you Tom @tcinla I wasn't aware of this. I do have the F-86 in stash but never did a comparison

I managed to smear some washing, spary a final flat and stick the rest of peices on to it,so it is only a base to follw now

Thanks for looking in!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 months, 1 week ago:

Nice final results, Martin @impisi
    Looking forward to the base.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 6 months, 1 week ago:

Excellent looks, my friend @impisi! Looking forward to the base as well!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 6 months, 1 week ago:

In fact, this kit probably has better outline accuracy than any other MiG-15 kit besides the Bronco kit released back in 2021. It was done from the MiG-15 that No Kum Sok flew from North Korea to South Korea, which is now in the USAF Museum. It's just that somebody decided it was easier to do 1/40 than 1/48 to scale it.

• Profile Photo
    Martin said 6 months ago:

Thanks a lot ya all.
    This is it now
    Thanks for following along

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 6 months ago:

Looks awesome, my friend @impisi!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 months ago:

A wonderful result, Martin @impisi

• Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 6 months ago:

Oh, that is so nice! I'm glad to see another Monogram MiG-15 built; mine was done so many years ago now and it's rare to see them online. Great work, Martin @impisi! 👍

• Profile Photo
    Martin said 6 months ago:

Thanks a lot @fiveten, @johnb @garybrantley! I appreciate you kind comments!