48th Scale P-51 Mustang Racer "Roto-Finish"

Started by Jack Mugan · 5 · 11 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jack Mugan said 11 years, 5 months ago:

The racer known to all air race fans as the Red Baron started out it's career as a stock P-51D and raced in Reno in 1966. As years passed, and the aircraft's racing career continued, many structural changes occurred, eventually ending up in the Red Baron configuration. Regardless of all the changes, it continued to wear the race number 5. This model represents what number 5 looked like in the Roto-Finish scheme in 1971, and again in 1972 Reno Races, when it won the Championship Race.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 11 years, 5 months ago:

Didn't you post this before? I could swear I saw it. Very nice work and very realistic, said as someone who watched Gunther Balz beat Darryl Greenamyer with it in 1972 - what a race!

• Profile Photo
    Jack Mugan said 11 years, 5 months ago:

Tom... Yes, I posted one shot as an answer to a reply to another post. I have only been to Reno once, many years ago, but it made a lasting impression. I like building 48th scale air racers, but I have discovered that most modelers prefer seeing the military versions. Thanks to companies like Red Pegasus, there are decals out there for those modelers who occasionally wander off the military reservation.

• Profile Photo
    Nikola Pentić said 11 years, 5 months ago:

Great racer. I love it.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 11 years, 5 months ago:

I went to Reno throughout the 70s, when it was a "community" - whether you were someone who polished the wings, a photographer out on the pylons (like me), a new pilot, or some "great" like Paul Poberezny or Bob Hoover, everybody was an equal on the tarmac and all were part of the crowd. The Whittington morons were the first to come along in the late 70s who had more money than brains, then in the 80s, the guys whose existence proves there is no relationship whatsoever between the billfold and the brain started showing up, needing to be treated "special" since they were such "special people" and after that it got boring. Haven't been up there in 30 years and I haven't missed a thing.

That disastrous crash last year proved what they have done. In the 1970s, that area where all those people who got killed were sitting was "no go" unless you were part of a race crew checking out an airplane, and for a very limited time only. But $200 a day for "special" seating for the "special people" is too good an offer for the money-grubbers to pass up. Not to mention having some 75 year old I used to watch 40 years ago flying that thing. I may think I am younger than I really am but the fact is I'm really not. Putting yourself in that situation at that age was just plain insanity.

Like the rest of Nevada, the air races rip you off from the moment you arrive. Back 35 years ago when the mob ran the place and only wanted to separate you from your money at the tables, it was better. So were the air races.