Accurate Miniatures 1:48th TBF-1C RNZAF

Started by Ross McArthur · 2 · 11 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Ross McArthur said 11 years, 5 months ago:

Third of my commission builds and a truly enjoyable kit. Don't know why I haven't scored one for me yet. After the SBD I was starting to get the hang of the USN 3-tone (4-tone for the purists). Added some plumbing to the weapons bay, harness to the engine and the usual s/b belts for both crew. All leading edges were filed and sanded thin, details restored with scriber. Even added some placard decals to the turret. Drilled out cowl fasteners a little to refine the detail. ANA 607 is Hu 25/33 at 4:1, then heavily lightened. ANA 608 is Hu 96 or 124, in various tints. White is auto rattle can enamel. Used light grey on the cowl fasteners for contrast, and along random rivet lines aft, both fuselage and wings. Panel wash mostly water colour, weathering is pastels and lighter shades of the base colour. Kit decals for fuselage, then sprayed with custom blue. Wing markings Miracle Masks and sprayed with custom blue. Truly converted to masks!

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 11 years, 5 months ago:

Nice weathering - looks like an airplane weathered well under the tropic sun. That paint could get to the point (according to people I know who were there) of looking like dusty chalk on the airplane after 3-4 months on a WestPac tour. Which is why the nearly impermeable Glossy Sea Blue came along, since aluminum airplanes in saltwater environments need paint that sticks.

That kit never gets old.